Has anyone done the linux from scrath project (http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/)? If so, I created the directory /mnt/lfs/source just as the LFS book instructed me to do and now after turning the computer off and back on, the sources directory is gone. This is the second time this has happened. Any ideas?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I'm not sure, but typically the "mnt" folder on most linux distributions is only for mounting temporary devices (like USB sticks). I wouldn't be surprised if there was some kind of automatic cleanup of that folder when starting up or shutting down the computer. That might be why it disappears. Is it part of the instructions to reboot after having done that step? And is it necessary that this folder be put at that location? Maybe some place other than the "mnt" folder would be a better idea.

Actually, /mnt should not be cleaned up, as /tmp may be upon rebooting. It is possible that the user has /mnt mounted (sic) from a volatile device, such as a ram disc. In any case, I have never had a problem with stuff in /mnt going away. Normally, dynamic device mounts (usb drives, etc) usally go into /media.

FWIW, I have done the LFS project and had no problems of this sort. In my opinion, it is a GREAT way to learn the internals of Linux systems.

Still. To be on the safer side, it would be best to put the source files in the very permanent location of the users homefolder.
Don't you all agree? :)

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/chapter05/gcc-pass1.html

If anyone has done this project I'M having some trouble with the GCC part of the proccess. Above is the link to the page I'M having trouble with.
At the top of the page it's giving me three files to unzip and move, again this is at the top of the page before you actually compile gcc. How can I unzip and more files that haven't been built yet and this part of the process is before you build gcc?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.