Virus in linux machine???? Yes! under the following circumstances:

Please, before anyone jumps in with "impossible, there's no viruses for linux, you are stupid" read the post.

I got a friend's computer to fix, Gateway NV53. Fast forward, put a new HDD but it won't accept any windows installation disk. Vista, XP, 7, nothing. It just ignores them everytime and ends telling me no OS was detected.

I then installed Linux Mint 9 on the computer quiet succesfully. It aknowledged the DVD upon boot right away from the first time I put it in. The owner wants windows back in it, but every time I insert a windows disk it completely passes ignored.

I disconnected the CMOS battery for quite a while, twice, and the problem won't go away.

Reading more lead me to believe a virus is logged in the motherboard and it only attacks windows.

What can I do to clean the mobo from linux?

I downloaded the BIOS from gateway but I can't make it run now that the computer runs with linux.

Help and thank you very much!

Please, before anyone jumps in with "impossible, there's no viruses for linux, you are stupid" read the post.

isults , no wonder no one posted advice yet .lol

i no you markeed it solved ,but when i read it ,first thing to my mind was to change boot order in the bios .windows dvds are fussier than linux !

care to tell us how you solved it ,thanks ,have a nce day

I disconnected the CMOS battery for quite a while, twice, and the problem won't go away.

You should try resetting the "Clear CMOS" jumper on your motherboard, it should trigger a flashing of the factory-original BIOS. That's usually better than unplugging the battery. And if that doesn't solve your problem, I doubt that flashing in the BIOS you downloaded is going to work any better.

Fast forward, put a new HDD but it won't accept any windows installation disk. Vista, XP, 7, nothing. It just ignores them everytime and ends telling me no OS was detected.
I downloaded the BIOS from gateway but I can't make it run now that the computer runs with linux.

A quick google search revealed that the gateway nv53 model has a BIOS flashing procedure that does not require any operating systems to even exist on the failed computer (which is smart!). Just read the manual (see the BIOS recovery section). You need a Windows computer to create the recovery USB device, but the actual BIOS flashing procedure is done from that bootable USB device and does not require that you boot up into Windows. I believe that in what you have downloaded from gateway, you will find a "Crisis Recovery Disk" (or CRISDISK) which is a small bootable environment that will flash your BIOS upon booting from it. Follow the instructions carefully.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.