I am planning to have Linux as my main operating system.
However, I have following concerns

1) Do all the programs I use in windows can be use in the Linux?

2) Do the Linux offer better the internet connection than window in term of stability and speed?

Anyone can tell? thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

I am planning to have Linux as my main operating system.
However, I have following concerns

1) Do all the programs I use in windows can be use in the Linux?

2) Do the Linux offer better the internet connection than window in term of stability and speed?

Anyone can tell? thank you.

1) No. Although there are alternatives to most.

2). Not sure I understood the question. Stability depends more on the applications than the OS itself, both operating systems left to themselves are pretty stable. Linux however, is probably more stable when applications crash - ie there is less chance of the app taking down the OS (in my experience). Speed wise, for web stuff the difference is negligible.

If I were you I'd set up a dual booting system and evaluate it yourself.

1) No. Although there are alternatives to most.

Right. Programs written specifically for Windows will not run on other operating systems such as Linux or Mac OS. Linux versions of some programs are available, and (as pty said) alternative programs also exist.

Do the Linux offer better the internet connection than window in term of stability and speed?

As mentioned, performance is more a function of the programs you use than the Oses themselves. Network performance is also pretty dependent upon the quality of your physical (hardware) components, and the operating system you use obviously doesn't have much to do with that aspect of things either.

Also Some of the programs you use in windows you can run in linux with Wine, which is difficult to set up for someone who doesn't have a lot of linux experience, but is pretty durn good.

Also Some of the programs you use in windows you can run in linux with Wine...

Right. VMWare is another program under which you can run Win software, although unlike WINE, it isn't free.

There is also CrossOver office, which is basically Wine, but with more features and added stability. Codeweavers offers a free trial period in which you can use it fully-functional for 30 days, I think. Please note that Wine and CrossOver office can run Windows programs at native speeds, because it reimplements it, not emulates Windows (which is what VMWare does).

Right. VMWare is another program under which you can run Win software, although unlike WINE, it isn't free.

Actually there is a VMware Player that is free, the only trick is getting a virtual machine already made. If you need to create VM sessions you will need at least VMware Workstation (around 190$)

OTOH it won't account for licensing the Windows OS which would still be extra with either version.

LINUX - WINDOWS PROGRAM GUIDE

MS Office - OpenOffice
Photoshop - GIMP
MSN Messenger - GAIM
Quicken / Money - GNUCash
IE - Mozilla
Oulook - Evolution

Some programs like Audacuty, Open Office, Adobe Acrobat etc.... have linux and windoes versions

i'd agree with that however for personal finance Grisbi is probably more suitable than GnuCash

Ok i was just saying names im 16 so dont have much use for it

yeah - i wasn't having a dig or saying you're wrong

Yeah ok and also u can use Amsn or kopete instead of Gaim, konqueror instead f firefox and thunderbird instead of evolution

Yes but if you really lack what you need in windows try Xen or VMware to emulate windows however there seems to be a replacement in every program and linux uses it's tcp stack better so i get higher speeds maybe you will to

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.