I have a Toshiba Satellite notebook with Windows7 OS.
How would I go about it to replace Windows7 with Kubuntu?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Get universal usb installer and make a bootable flash drive, plug it in, choose option to start from the usb in the bios settings, the installation should be pretty much just next next etc(I assume you want to replace windows 7 with linux, otherwise might be nice to create a partition for linux before hand using ubuntu live usb for example, and a program called gparted)

You can also burn a DVD with the appropriate version of kubuntu. Go here http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu and choose Kubuntu 14.04 (long term support). If your PC is 64 bits choose the 64 bits version.

Make sure the computer is connected to your modem by a cable,
Then reboot the computer on this DVD. During the install process, the most important step is the partitioning. I suggest a manual partitioning:

1) delete existing partitions (say goodbye to win7 and your data)
2) It can be useful to have a small partition for the mount point /boot near the beginning of the disk (for example 1 GB formatted in ext4)
3) You need a partition for the mount point / (for example 100 GB, formatted in ext4)
4) You need a swap partition (for example 4 times the RAM, say 16 GB if you have 4 GB of ram, type is linuxswap) You can have more, but I don't know if it is useful.
5) It is a good idea to have a separate partition for the mount point /home (as many GB as you want, say the rest of your disk, formatted in ext4)

For the rest of the procedure, answer the installer's questions.

EDIT: when the installation is complete, go to a terminal and type the commands

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

this will download and install the latest software upgrades for your system.

I dont know how i hacked my dads laptops password when i was 6 when i didnt know nothing about computers

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.