I have an OpenVZ unmanaged VPS. Installed the control panel, LAMP stack, have the DNS and domains on the new nameservers(showing up if you go to the domains) But when i run a pingdom check i have an SOA error. Was reading that it is probably a reverse DNS issue...What do i do here?

I attached a picture

dsfdsfdsf.png

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

There isn't much you can do about the reverse lookup zone error unless that portion of the zone has been delegated to you.

For example, when you register myDomain.com, the .com zone contains delegation information about the subdomain called "myDomain". Who ever manages the DNS server that will host myDomain.com will create the zone.

The same holds true about reverse lookup zones. For you to be able to manage the IP mappings that point to hostnames, there has to be a delegation for that range of IPs to you.

Even with an unmanaged VPS? I went from hostgator, which is where i registered the domains to an OpenVZ VPS...How will this effect everything?

Unfortunately, i am unable to comment on the hosting part of your question. I can only comment regarding DNS.

Unless you have a reverse lookup zone created (and delegated to you), there isnt much you can do about those warnings.

Is it required for you to have a reverse lookup zone? From a DNS perspective, there is no requirement. Only you can answer that. Will there be a situation where someone will need to verify your IP back to a hostname? If so, then yes, PTR records would have to be created in that zone. If no, then, the reverse lookup zone is not required.

I dont want to lead you down the wrong path. It would be helpful if someone with VPS/hosting experience could chime in with additional guidance here.

Thank you very much...This is the responses I ended up getting

You will need to simply login to SolusVM, click the network tab and hit edit next to the IPs to assign it. However, please note that you must already have a matching forward (A,CNAME,AAAA, etc) record to be able to set one.

As we are an unmanaged host we cannot explain to you how DNS works, however, in my previous reply, I've instructed you on how to set your rDNS so that it should fix your issue. If you need more hands on help then you might want to join our community IRC channel and see if someone there's able to and willing to assist you.

Everything else is going smoothly for me, this part is confusing me a bit, eventhough its only been one day since ive been doing an unmanagaged VPS so i cant expect to know everything...There customer support went above and beyond for me in the past 24 hours, answered things they shouldnt since they are unmnaged, overall i am extremely happy with them...i want to get this because i dont want an issue with the DNS zones since my main puporse of switching over was to host my domains on a VPS.

Im going to cancel hostgaor today, will that affect the DNS in anyway? I know they (own)/use launchpad but im going to canccel my hosting package and not to sure how it all plays a role together

You will need to simply login to SolusVM, click the network tab and hit edit next to the IPs to assign it. However, please note that you must already have a matching forward (A,CNAME,AAAA, etc) record to be able to set one.

So it sounds like you already have a reverse lookup zone somewhere and they are telling you to log into that system and hit "edit" next to the target IP and match this to a forward lookup record.

host my domains on a VPS.

I'm not sure that you'd really want to do that.. Have you asked yourself why?

For example, when i register a domain name with network solutions, godaddy, or any other registrar, they generally provide DNS services and a DNS management console. At that time, i can either create all of hte records of my choosing, or I can delegate the zone to a set of DNS servers that I manage by creating NS records.

Now, if i delegate the zone to me and run DNS on my servers, I have to be 100% responsible for the uptime and upkeep of these servers. That means time and $$$. So normally, i do not do this and keep the DNS zone with the registrar. They have already invested money and resources and maintain a very higly available and fault tolerant infrastructure. There really isnt any point in taking over DNS. Just let them handle it.

I know they (own)/use launchpad but im going to canccel my hosting package

I cant speak for hostgator, but lets say goDaddy... i've registered domains with them and i've added hosting packages. Its two seperate products. Because I host my dns domain/zone with them, i am not required to host my website. So in that situation what i do is open the goDaddy DNS management tool and just create a host record say "www" and instead of pointing that record to the IP of the web server at goDaddy, I can point it to the web server sitting at google (if its a blog), another hosting provider (could be hostgator), at my demo web server at home if I wish. The point is that DNS and web hosting are seperate.

dfgdfgdfgfff.png

This is whats on the Solus CP

I'm not sure that you'd really want to do that.. Have you asked yourself why?

I think i worded this wrong since im new to VPS'...My nameservers are with my current host,RamNode. I use their IP address they give me for the DNS.

I use VESTACP and the DNS CP my hosting gave met to just ADD the domains/edit the records to point to the IP address they assigned me.

I was/am on a shared package with hostgator, went to "domains" registered my domains, added an addon domain(s), they took care of registation for me...But, now that i switched to RamNode I pointed the domains i registered with hostgator to the RamNode nameservers.

I want to cancel my Hosting package with hostgator but not my domain registations since i still have over 6-8 months left that i paied for

I'm not sure what that 168 address is but i'm guessing the IP for your VPS? Also that IP doesnt match anything in the error message above. Is that because you havent updated your DNS zone to reflect the new IP? I dont know since i'm only seeing bits and pieces plus i have no experiece with VPS hosting, or Solus CP.

My nameservers are with my current host,RamNode. I use their IP address they give me for the DNS.

OK, so that's good. that means that when you registered the name, you provided the registrar with the IPs of your name servers at RamNode. That's called delegation.

I use VESTACP and the DNS CP my hosting gave met to just ADD the domains/edit the records to point to the IP address they assigned me.

dont know what you are talking about here, but OK. I assume that you are referring to RamNode and then that would be good. They provide you with a DNS managemnet console and you update the records.

I was/am on a shared package with hostgator, went to "domains" registered my domains, added an addon domain(s), they took care of registation for me...But, now that i switched to RamNode I pointed the domains i registered with hostgator to the RamNode nameservers.

Ok, yes very similar to the godaddy experience where if you buy a hosting package you can buy a domain name and they handle the DNS in the background for you. but as you mentioned, you can update the DNS zone and point it to RamNode. very common, no concerns here..

I want to cancel my Hosting package with hostgator but not my domain registations since i still have over 6-8 months left that i paied for

Sure, as i mentioned...these are two different products. you should be able to cancel hosting and leave the name registration process alone. Hostgator will contact you when its time to renew the domain names. You can always leave it there if you like their registrar services or transfer it to another registrar...that is totally up to you.

So back to the VPS... i dont see where it is related on anything we've discussed in this thread. you already have DNS on RamNode. Your DNS is good to go.

I guess i'm still missing something here...sorry dont mean to be wasting your time...

Yup using ramnode...VesaCP, is like webmin or cPanel. And ramnode has their own DNS Control Panel I use to end the DNS zones or add addon domains

These are two responses i ended up getting from the another forum

1.png

2.png

Here is my intodns.com report for one of my domains:

Click Here

FYI - Never a waste of time man, i think you very much and to me im always learning something new from every question, every responce

I didnt see anything that really stood out as a problem with that DNS report. The glue issue can be easily resolved back at hostgater by also having A records created in the registrar. What happens is that there are only NS records and an extra DNS lookup is required, but its not the end of the world if you dont address this.. as you can see name resolution works anyway.

The SOA expiry is too long according to the report. eh... OK. I have seen this value used. doesnt really make me nervous. Some people set it to 1 day, others 2-4 weeks. That's up to you. This value sets how long a secondary nameserver will wait before considering its DNS data stale if it can't reach the primary name server.

Again, like i mentioned before and the report says the same as i indicated... the reverse lookup records would have to be resolved by whoever is managing that IP space. Just because you have the foward lookup zone delegated to you doesnt mean your ISP is delegating the reverse lookup zone.

Reverse lookup zones are only required for IP to name resolution. Its a really good thing to have especially for systems that use it for security... the report mentions MX because mail servers like to do reverse lookups to make sure that mail is coming from the servers that they are supposed to be coming from.

I changed the A records at hostgator to the 168 IP....? A bit confused man

I read that too about the SOA, not the biggest deal and doesnt effect anything.

When i installed VestaCp, there is a Mail tab that auto links my domains...Not sure if thats affecting it since i didnt touch on that area anything just yet.

You mean the 168 IP from RamNode I have?

The last thing I want is for my sites to go live, have users and something happen because i didnt set it up properly. I would rather do it right the first time (maybe since i dont know enough right now im overthinking this)?

I changed the A records at hostgator to the 168 IP....? A bit confused man ||| You mean the 168 IP from RamNode I have?

What is meant by the glue records.... At your registrar (hostgator) you have some DNS management there. You choose to point the domain to RamNode. So hostgator created NS records. The warning you see is that there is no A record to each corresponding NS record. The NS records are pointing to another domain anyway so you really wouldnt create A records in your zone so i really wouldnt worry about that warning. Say your NS records were pointing to your own servers in your own domain.. take this example..

NS --> ns1.yourDomainName.com
NS --> ns2.yourDomainName.com

Well, for this example, you can also create glue records so there is only one lookup...

Aside from the NS records, you'd have this as well...

A --> ns1.yourDomainName.com --> 192.168.0.1 (only an example)
A --> ns2.yourDomainName.com --> 192.168.0.2

So in that zone you have NS records and your A records for hte delegated zone.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.