I'm looking for a good printer/scanner that works well with Linux, any suggestions on brands and models? Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

It depends on what you call good. I have a Epson XP-700 at home and it works very well with linux kubuntu. Epson publishes free drivers for the printer and the scanner. Avoid certain brands such as Lexmark which have a tradition of poor linux support (it may have changed since I had this problem, but be very careful).

The following site has a pretty comprehensive list of supported printers / scanners for Linux. I would say that as you buy your printer, you can just look up the model on that site before to make sure it's supported.

Overall, I would say that the worst that could happen is that some of the advanced features of the printer / scanner might not be supported. But it's very rare that it doesn't work at all, especially if it's a network printer / scanner.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.