I'm using Ubuntu Linux 5.10 on my laptop (I'm planning on upgrading to 6.06 but I want to get the bugs out of 5.10 first) and the volume control is kind of screwy. I've had this issue with other distros as well (Suse, Debian, and Mandriva)

The volume up and down keys (Function up/down) work and it does change the Master volume. But that doesn't actually change the volume. There are only two things that change the volume, PCM and Headphone.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Or maybe make the volume control buttons change PCM. I've tried searching for this but haven't found anything yet.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Member Avatar for TKSS

The volume up and down keys (Function up/down) work and it does change the Master volume. But that doesn't actually change the volume. There are only two things that change the volume, PCM and Headphone.

I assume you're speaking of actual hardware keys that you're pressing to move the volume up or down. If that is the case, you'll need to give us more information as to what keys you're pressing to move the volume up or down. This will help us to help you :D

the keys I use are the function (fn) and the up arrow or the down arrow. I have just finished installing the latest version of ubuntu and that has fixed the problem.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.