Greetings,
I am a windows OS user, however, I installed a VMware and I need to install Linux OS on a virtual machine. I searched for Linux official website to download the lastest version of the OS from it and unfortunately I did not find, or I could not be able to reach one and those are the links I got, in addition, I do not know is the Linux mint and if that the new Linux OS
Click Here
Click Here
Click Here
Click Here
If could someone help me to download the Linux OS

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

There is no 'official linux'. Rather, as you've found out, there are hundreds of different variations, each of which is linux.

Which of the platitude of options you choose would depend in large part on what you're going to want to use it for.

commented: More distros than jellybean flavors. +6

OK, thanks for help and info. I already downloaded Ubuntu 15.10 64-bit. Is there a difference(s) between Linux, Ubuntu, and the Kubuntu?. Regarding kubuntu why version Kubuntu 14.04 LTS and not Kubuntu 15.10?

Best Regards

I just joined an introduction to linux course and I wanted to install it to begin apply what I am learning within course, in addition, I want to use another development enviroment other than Microsoft tech. that is why I am looking for Linux/Ubuntu and to know if there are some differences between the two

Ubuntu is Linux.
Kubuntu is Linux.
Debian is Linux.
Arch is Linux.
the list goes on and on and on ...

It's all built on Linux just different distributions. If you're all new, I adivise you to definitely go after Ubuntu(variations like Elementary OS/Kubuntu etc) until you get more familiar with it before moving on into a more specific distribution to fullfil your needs if necessary

If you just want to learn Linux, then Ubuntu or Mint (a derivative of Ubuntu) are good choices. If you want to learn enterprise linux such as are used in big data centers, then CentOS is the way to go. It is a clone of Red Hat Enterprise Linux, but without the support subscription costs involved. Since you are going to run this in a VM and it appears that you want to run a 64-bit distribution, then you need to boot into your BIOS and make sure that the virtualization options are enabled. I assume you are running a 64-bit version of Windows?

Thanks for the support. I indeed running a 64-bit version of Windows. I need to learn Linux as I know nothing about the operating system even how it looks like as I never tried before, but nowadays I am trying to use some open source development tools and I need to use it on Linux and of course to know about the OS and its features.

I must say I prefer Debian myself, it's "cleaner" and tends to install less crud by default.

Try different desktop environments too, there's a lot of difference between them. I like xfce because it's nicely unobtrusive and light weight, unlike the heavy monsters like gnome and kde that eat up a lot of system resources.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.