How does VLAN work on Network Manager? I didn't installed the needed packages for network manager through apt-get and or configure the VLAN interface in the command line. The strange problem was that network manager crapped out after deleting the VLAN connection.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

This may help: http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7268

As to why the network manager failed after deleting the VLAN, I can't say, but you may want to check in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts to see if there are any vlan scripts, and if there are scripts such as ifcfg-eth0 or ifcfg-eth1, etc.

This may help: http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7268

As to why the network manager failed after deleting the VLAN, I can't say, but you may want to check in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts to see if there are any vlan scripts, and if there are scripts such as ifcfg-eth0 or ifcfg-eth1, etc. You may want to know that I am basing this from my Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.x clone. Since you mention apt-get I have to assume you are running a Debian-based system, and there are likely differences between those and RHEL systems.

I've checked path: /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts which don't exist. The debian based linux distro I'm using is ubuntu and is version 15.04. The question I have is VLAN suppose to work on a wireless network or on a physical ethernet wire? What I meant to say for the OP: The strange bug happened when I deleted the VLAN connection in gnome Network Manager and then resulted with a loss of wireless internet.

For Debian based installs (ubuntu) the path rubberman gave you equates to /etc/network/interfaces .
With Network manager, this directory and any interfaces configured within it are ignored. Honestly, I don't understand how network-manager stores all it's data. Manually editing those files are usually going to cause more headaches than anything else. Stick with the net-man gui.

Next, Wifi networks are 99.9% of the time in a native mode, meaning no VLAN tag is applied to the outbound packets. You usually don't need to vlan tag wifi.

I'm wondering what VLAN interface was deleted? "dmesg | grep eth" should give you an idea of what interfaces are available at the moment.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.