After running rsync with the -a --delete source dest arguments on my music library to my sd card I am getting the following errors.

default_perms_for_dir: sys_acl_get_file(Tears For Fears/Donnie Darko, ACL_TYPE_DEFAULT): No such file or directory, falling back on umask
rsync: mkstemp "/media/garrett/MUSIC-SD/Tears For Fears/Donnie Darko/.Mad World.mp3.yr2Xyc" failed: No such file or directory (2)
rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1183) [sender=3.1.0]

I don't really understand either one of these two erros. It's syncing from source to destination so how can it say 'No such file or directory'? If it's not there wouldn't it just copy it? And that's a very odd file '.Mad World.mp3.yr2xrc' that I can't even find when I look in the source directory myself. And I have no idea what 'ACL_TYPE_DEFAULT' is all about. Any ideas? Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

The mkstemp C function failed to create a temporary directory (see man mkstemp). The yr2Xyc looks like a string generated by mkstemp according to this documentation. The question is why did the program fail to create a temporary directory on your SD card ? Are you sure the card is not READ ONLY ? Some cards have a physical switch to enable read only mode.

I don't think it's read only. My music library is syncing from my computer to the sd card fine except that I always get these two errors.

Tell me more. I had a rough time with some beginner when they filled to root folder of their FAT32 card. Maybe it's something basic?
(tell me how many files in the root.)

The sd card is formatted to FAT32 and it has an exact copy of my music foler. So it looks like this.

artist1/album1/musicFile1.flac
artist1/album1/musicFile.2flat
artist1/album2/musicFile1.flac
artist2/album1/musicFile1.flac
etc...

And what you shared has no spaces in any folder or file name. I wonder.

Yes, many band names, artits, album names and song names have spaces in them.

@lewashby, why I noted it was so you could test is it's a space in the filename issue. Also can you reveal how many entries are in the root folder? I'm not there to check basics so I ask.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.