I have an older Toshiba Satellite laptop with Linux Mint OS installed. It pretty old and it's starting to show as it's getting slower. It's got a bigger screen and it's even got the num pad on the right of the keyboard in addetion to the numbers at the top. I thought about getting a new one but this has been a good computer and it's built very sturdy, I worked at Best Buy for about 6 months and I didn't see many built this sturdy. So I thought I might just put a few new parts in it to start with, maybe start with a processor and RAM and then maybe later an SSD and a new battery. Anyway here's the specs after running inxi, can someone please tell me what I need to be looking for concerning hardware, I'd like to get what's compatible with this computer and Linux but I'd like to up the specs a little with both the CPU and the RAM. Thanks.

developer@mint-laptop ~ $ inxi
CPU~Dual core AMD Turion X2 Mobile RM-72 (-MCP-) clocked at Min:1050.000Mhz Max:2100.000Mhz Kernel~3.16.0-4-amd64 x86_64 Up~25 min Mem~1108.3/2764.4MB HDD~250.1GB(4.8% used) Procs~167 Client~Shell inxi~2.1.28 

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Just a tip. Always add the model number so folk don't have to sleuth out what model this was.

Laptop CPUs are rarely changeable and sourcing is a pain too. Forget all that and pop in the SSD now. The speed gain I'm seeing is phenomenal.

Example. Dell E1505 2006 Inspiron with 2GB RAM 120GB SSD boots W10 in 33 second from cold to a Google web result. That's one old laptop yet it's very usable. With the old HDD it took 5+ minutes to do that.

Noted. What about the RAM, if I wanted to go ahead and put some new ram in it? What do I need to look for?

I can sort of answer that. That 2006 Dell E1505 was a return from my son from his college days. It only had 1GB RAM but a bad HDD.

The 120GB SSD was all of 30 bucks on a door buster sale so that went in. The boot time was about 45 seconds with just 1GB RAM on W10. Since it was looking good at this point I found a 2GB memory upgrade kit for 15 bucks on Amazon. That helped boot time fall to under 30 seconds. So yes, more RAM is a good thing. I quote the 33 seconds because it shows just how much time you can save with SSD.

The 33 second is from a cold boot (not sleep) and launching Firefox, typing test into the google search box, press enter and getting a result.

Let's hope your laptop is better than this 2006 E1505.

I'm unclear on your "what to look for" question. I get memory from crucial.com and sometimes from Amazon. I only look to see if they mention my model or if I'm chancing it, I look to DDR type, voltage, and the 20 other items that DDR specs can have. I don't like doing that work so often it's Crucial or Amazon items that mention the target machine.

I havent putchased a lot of hardware for a laptop and I just want to make sure that I get RAM that is compatible with this computer. I figured if I pasted the resutls of inxi it would tell knowledgable observer what kind to get. So will it suffice to just go to amazon or crucial and enter laptop ddr RAM?

Sorry lew but inxi would have me sleuthing the machine's make and model then I could check on compatible RAM.

Is this a test to see if I can guess the laptop model? I'm good but given you have that info, seems I could use that time to do something else.

Maybe I got that wrong but I have run into folk that write "I told you enough for you to figure it out. You're not allowed to ask questions." You can imagine my response. Mostly I let them eat static.

Thanks for your help.

commented: Good to read. Really though, get the SSD in there. You'll know why in no time. +11
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.