Okay -> due to all the Red Hat 9 talk here on the forum, I decided to install it and try it out -> installed without a hitch until the reboot -> the GUI looks as though it is too big for the monitor -> it is in black/white and distorted -> During install I choose my specific monitor model (Multisync P2150+) -> But due to the distortion and lack of Red Hat experience, I have no idea what screen I am on -> Is there any way to reconfigure the monitor settings via non-graphical whatever?

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

Run XF86Config or xconfigurator in the console. (Praying that you installed either of these packages when you installed RedHat)

What these do is edit the XF86Config file, which contains all of your configuration settings about XWindows (GUI mode).

The file is located here: /etc/X11/XF86Config

In Section "Screen" SubSection "Display" you can change two attributes. Depth is color depth (e.g. 24 bit, 32 bit color). Modes is the available resolutions that will be available for use in GUI mode. Either list all resolutions your monitor is capable of or all resolutions you wish to use.

You goto a console and type

# XFree86 -configure

i will attempt to auto detect your hardware and then tell you what to type to try it out..if it works... copy it to /etc/X11/

Run Mandrake :-) problem solved.

Mandrake? yu think it sets up easier?

Mandrake's GUI based control center is more user friendly. Personally I like redhat better.

Debian > *

you could also try and run XF86Setup this gives a little bit more of a graphical interface and
may help some people that are less inclined to ue the command line. after you login as root type exactly as follows XF86Setup please note that the XFand S are in caps.
good luck and I would look more towards the video card for this problem if you have a newer motherboard with built in video then you will want to choose a vesa video card
as things can get pretty hairy if you choose wrong and there is always the possibility of
hardware damage with Xwindows after all linux with a candy coating is not an exact science yet

RedHat is evil....it's just another windows with loads of wizards and 1000000 services running by default plus not to mention the RPM hell. Be a man get getoo and learn how to configure config files :twisted:

knoppix.net :)
If it boots up right, it'll install right.
Most modern hardware takes only 20 minutes and ALL the
configuration has been done for you.
I personally recommend the 6/3/03 iso (I just looked and haven't found a site that offers that iso anymore, I'll have
to look for archives).
I have used it extensively and have found it extremely
stable.

The plus side is that all the configuration is done for
you during boot up of the cd... so you know right away
wether it's going to work or not.

After the install it's a standard debian system.
Go ahead and add/remove stuff as you like. ;)

RedHat is evil....it's just another windows with loads of wizards and 1000000 services running by default plus not to mention the RPM hell. Be a man get getoo and learn how to configure config files :twisted:

I'd rather build all my applications from ground up. I don't like RPMs *ugh*

Sorry folks, but personally I think when someone has a problem while using one distro, suggesting a different distro should be considered trolling. You could as well say "get a Mac". Doesn't solve the problem, though.

Just my 2 cent.

Check the date of this thread.

Yeah lol 2003, about the time redhat 9 was new........

OK, sorry, didn't check. Well it was first entry in the "related forum threads" column of the "Red Hat, the GPL, and the Boon (and Bane) of Open-Source" article. On the other hand: isn't storing historical data what the internet is great for? ;)

Yeah i know, i hate that related threads thing. Excelent for finding answers but annoying if you are looking to help.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.