As said above, I am running Ubuntu Linux 6.06 LTS. My problem is that I cannot find a sound driver for my card. I have posted about this before.

Is there a way that I can watch a video without the sound? For example, when my video player opens, it says "Error establishing a connection to the sound database" and then closes. Certain videos, such as ones that my friends send me that do not need sound, cannot be played.

Another question is with plug-ins in Firefox and in Opera. I can't get a Flash Player or Windows Media Player plugin for Opera, and I can't get a Window Media Player plugin for Firefox. Is there a way to get these, or is there another browser I can use that has them built in?

Thanks in advance
-- Alex

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Another question is with plug-ins in Firefox and in Opera. I can't get a Flash Player or Windows Media Player plugin for Opera, and I can't get a Window Media Player plugin for Firefox. Is there a way to get these, or is there another browser I can use that has them built in?

Flash Player for Opera

Windows Media for Linux is more tricky... you can either use a standalone app like VLC to play the videos seperately, or you can use Wine (site is down right now) to run Firefox for Windows, which will then enable you to use the WMP plugin available for Firefox. I would assume you could do something similar for Opera.

Hope this helps

what soundcard do you have by the way

i have an intel built in one (whatever one the BTX mobos have) and uts "HD Sound appaarntly" which means linux AND vista both refuse to like it

For flash etc... ahve you tried somethibg like automatix or easyubuntu?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.