Build Your Own Web Server ~ Quick & Easy Do it Yourself Installation ~ All within 24 hours !!!!

After long hardwork and desperation searching web to prepare for a linux server on my VPS plan, i wrote my tutorial for somebody like me who is new to vps and dedicated server. Just felt that it could be helpful.

- Apache 2 - Linux Web server
- MySQL 5 - MySQL Database Server
- PHP4/5 - PHP Scripting Language
- PhpMyAdmin - Web-based database admin software.
- Webalizer - Website Traffic Analyzer
- Mail Server - Postfix (MTA) with Dovecot IMAP/POP3 + Sasl Authentication
- Squirrelmail - A web based email
- VSFTP - A fast ftp server to upload files
- Webmin - A freely available server control panel
- ClamAV - Antivirus software.
- A Firewall using IPtables.

I have outlined this in the signature link below as posting links not allowed in this forum

Please comment and any advice would be appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

this isn't a tutorial, it's nearly a list of software used in dedicated servers, and unless you've done it before, this will take days to complete.

commented: Please read people's posts more carefully. Thank you! -2

this isn't a tutorial, it's nearly a list of software used in dedicated servers, and unless you've done it before, this will take days to complete.

People who skim over posts, reply without any clue to what the poster is actually talking about just might agree with you. People who actually read posts, now that's a different story.

and what is that supposed to mean? You freaking rep nazi, just because you don't like my post I get bad rep.

commented: don't call people nazis... It only shows what you are yourself -3

Did you actually click on the link?

what link?

>what link?

So I take it you didn't read his post?

I rest my case.

you are both idiots.

commented: wow, you are retarded. +0

You're calling us idiots? At least Joe and I can read.

well, you're both jerks. You really should look at you threads. You're constantly putting people down.

commented: Name-calling is very immature. If any of my posts are in violation of the rules, then you need to report them. -2
commented: You call people 'Nazi' and expect them to be nice to you? +21

well, you're both jerks. You really should look at you threads. You're constantly putting people down.

That is not relevant to the discussion. If you have issues with either of us, then you should report them to a moderator. Here is not the place.

not a very detailed tutorial there. and all this is available on sites like howtoforge.com with much more detail.

without even starting to go through your configs, one look at the postfix install shows you will be flooded by spam and malware emails within the first couple of days. there is no antivirus, no security, nothing.

anyhow, if you want a simple and very fast howto on how to setup any kind of linux server - just go to howtoforge. another good place to look is iptablesrocks.org and qmailrocks.org (for those who prefer qmail to other MTAs)

my point is - for someone who wants to use a howto to setup such a server, this one is very undetailed. and someone who already knows how to do it doesn't need a howto

cheers :)

commented: Good post. +12
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.