Hi All,

Wishes!

I had been in this situation for near to 10 days and requests yoru consideration::::::: thanks in advance !!

Recently fedora core 6 from shop for sure craze of linux and understanding the system. Unfortunately i landed in a situation where linux shows lots of issues.

I request the linux users and experts a way out of this situation.

#1. I am using my full HDD for the linux distro.
#2. System configuration are as follows:
P III , 850 M Hz, 196 MB RAM, 20 GB HDD
Mercury Mother board.

I gave free installation and it installed in text mode saying i do not have enough ram for graphical mode. Later i changed the level to 5 and it worked well. graphical desktop i saw but here i am with two issues.

a. the system tray to the system time corner gets crashed with a red excalamation shown there.
b. no way the linux is able to recognize my mouse and so is another cause of concern.

c. finally there comes a pop up saying that networkmanager applet reason and then it is like freeze state.

i have tried to off the network services and still it shows up. I think there is some trouble with the network manager applet as it tries to get soem thing here .....

I tried the fedora 4 and it is fine and ok. But it also crashes like above but no network manager applet issue is shown.

Thanks in advance for the consideration and really request help ......

Harish Balakrishnan Marar

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

That computer is too old for Fedora Core 6. You might as well just forget it.

Consider something that takes less RAM such as Xubuntu or Debian - Xubuntu being the distro which will recognize your hardware better, which seems to be an issue for you.

hi joe, thanks for the reply. Yes machine is with me from 2000. i want to use it for makimgn a linux server machine.

so got to linux. ubuntu i got a personal suggestion also. yep... the bad part is i brought both fedora core 6 / core 4 cds.

That computer is too old for Fedora Core 6. You might as well just forget it.

Consider something that takes less RAM such as Xubuntu or Debian - Xubuntu being the distro which will recognize your hardware better, which seems to be an issue for you.

hi joe, thanks for the reply.

No problem.

i want to use it for makimgn a linux server machine.

In that case...

Even more reason to use a faster distro. Believe me, it won't be enjoyable logging onto a remote shell that acts like a slug, or trying to transfer files across your network. You might additionally want to look into Ubuntu Server edition.

the bad part is i brought both fedora core 6 / core 4 cds.

It's hardly worth buying a Linux distro when there's so many free ones available that can do the job just as well. The regular version of Fedora Core is quite decent; the only reason you should get the payed version is if you are somehow unable to download the CD images or you need constant updates and support.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.