I never know if I'm putting these in the right place. Anyway, I have been having trouble ftp'ing larger files or larger groups of small files to my ftp server lately. I'm hosting with globat.com, and they say there are no problems. I'm using SmartFTP. My ISP is Qwest. After uploading a half a meg or so, it just fails and says, Transfer failed.

Could qwest be limiting my ftp access because I upload so much stuff? What could be the problem? I can upload small files with no problem.
Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

I never know if I'm putting these in the right place. Anyway, I have been having trouble ftp'ing larger files or larger groups of small files to my ftp server lately. I'm hosting with globat.com, and they say there are no problems. I'm using SmartFTP. My ISP is Qwest. After uploading a half a meg or so, it just fails and says, Transfer failed.

Could qwest be limiting my ftp access because I upload so much stuff? What could be the problem? I can upload small files with no problem.
Thanks.

You've indicated that you upload a lot of stuff, have you ever been able to upload large files? If so, how much space have they given you for your server? Try using the Upload Queue and see if it works from there. If it does work from there then it might be a client side issue. Or you can try to use a different client and see if it works. If it does then it is probably SmartFTP. If you're uploading in Passive Port mode, try to switch to Active Port mode. Let me know.

Good luck, LamaBot

...I’m using SmartFTP. Could qwest be limiting my ftp access because I upload so much stuff? What could be the problem? I can upload small files with no problem.
Thanks.

Can't speak to SmartFTP or Qwest....

I use 9.95 FTP, as the name states, its a FTP tool that costs $9.95, pretty cheap and I download / upload very large files on a regular basis.

You should not need it, SmartFTP should work, but if you want to try another tool, it will not put a dent in your wallet to try it...just a thought.

You've indicated that you upload a lot of stuff, have you ever been able to upload large files? If so, how much space have they given you for your server? Try using the Upload Queue and see if it works from there. If it does work from there then it might be a client side issue. Or you can try to use a different client and see if it works. If it does then it is probably SmartFTP. If you're uploading in Passive Port mode, try to switch to Active Port mode. Let me know.

Good luck, LamaBot

Yes, I have been able to upload large files in the past, I've uploaded files as large as 100MB or so. Space on my webhost shouldn't be a problem, I think I've got like 10GB of space, and 300GB of transfer, and I've never come close to hitting it. What do you mean by using the Upload Queue? Not sure what that is? And I did try another client, FileZilla, and got the same problem. I was able to upload the same files at a different physical location (completely different address), that's why I was curious if it's Qwest.
Thanks for your replies!

Yes, I have been able to upload large files in the past, I've uploaded files as large as 100MB or so. Space on my webhost shouldn't be a problem, I think I've got like 10GB of space, and 300GB of transfer, and I've never come close to hitting it. What do you mean by using the Upload Queue? Not sure what that is? And I did try another client, FileZilla, and got the same problem. I was able to upload the same files at a different physical location (completely different address), that's why I was curious if it's Qwest.
Thanks for your replies!

The Upload Queue is a feature of SmartFTP where you can schedule uploads with timing. The point of this was to see if it was the client, but that is probably not the problem as implied from the quote. When you say "physica location" do you mean on a FTP server within you local network? You could try that to see if it is a client-side issue. If not, then you must be suggesting Qwest specifically set restrictions for uploads of large size to the aforementioned domain or FTP server; I reasonably doubt that Qwest would do that. If anything, Qwest limits the amount of all FTP upload transfers. Check forums or Google keywords implying Qwest and how it limits FTP uploads or read up on Qwest and its limitations of transfers. Let me know.

Good luck, LamaBot

The Upload Queue is a feature of SmartFTP where you can schedule uploads with timing. The point of this was to see if it was the client, but that is probably not the problem as implied from the quote. When you say "physica location" do you mean on a FTP server within you local network? You could try that to see if it is a client-side issue. If not, then you must be suggesting Qwest specifically set restrictions for uploads of large size to the aforementioned domain or FTP server; I reasonably doubt that Qwest would do that. If anything, Qwest limits the amount of all FTP upload transfers. Check forums or Google keywords implying Qwest and how it limits FTP uploads or read up on Qwest and its limitations of transfers. Let me know.

Good luck, LamaBot

By physical location, I mean a completely different network. (It's actually my inlaws pc.) They are with Qwest as well. And the thing is, this hasn't been happening the whole time I'm with Qwest, just recently. I'm just wondering if maybe I've been flagged as doing too much uploading/downloading, so they're throttling me. Thanks for your reply.

By physical location, I mean a completely different network. (It's actually my inlaws pc.) They are with Qwest as well. And the thing is, this hasn't been happening the whole time I'm with Qwest, just recently. I'm just wondering if maybe I've been flagged as doing too much uploading/downloading, so they're throttling me. Thanks for your reply.

I wonder if you can upload large files from you inlaws pc? If you can then you're probably right, it is Qwest or it is on the client side . Have you tried sending in Active Mode? It is very unusual for an ISP in general to flag in such cases. If Qwest is throttling you, then maybe the control of flow is causing your transfer to timeout. Hmm. If you're convinced Qwest has flagged you, why don't you call Help Desk and ask? Let me know.

Best regards, LamaBot

Well, I'm not convinced that Qwest has flagged me, that's why I'm asking here, just to get your opinion. But yes, I can upload large files from my inlaws pc. I'll try the active mode. And to be honest it's now been a week or two since I've tried. I'll try again today and see what happens.

yeah it may be that. my isp has throttled my bittorrenting as i download too many .isos on my supposedly "unlimited" service

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.