It's 4:30am and I'm trying to install Linux Mandrake 8.0. Yes I know there is a 8.1.

I'm taking a UNIX/Linux class and only went once so far and I taking it because I dont know shit about UNIX/Linux.

Everytime I want install I keep getting a freaking error and it's driving me through the fucken wall.

This CD is not a Mandrake CD please insert and try again.
Some kind of stupid error like that I tryed all 2 or 3 CD's it has come with what am I doing wrong jesus!

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Are you autoruning the CD from start up? If yes, believe it or not, I've heard of this problem before. The way to resolve it is that there is a directory on the cd with a way to make boot disks. Just make them, and you should have no problem.

Win 2k is a pain in the ass to setup. When i set it up on my laptop, i made those stupid 4 disks, then i kept it till i installed win 2k adv serv. I use them, and guess what, it didn't work! I restarted, went back to win me, and created the 4 boot disks. BUT LATER!!! the first boot disk was somehow messed up and so i had to redo all 4 disks!! pain in the ass!!

Windows XP has 6 boot disks. lol.

www.bootdisk.com

I think you can get one for XP that is only 1 disk that works fine lol. Also yes I used a Boot Disk and then I went into the setup and says it is not a ManDrake CD I'm not stupid but I feel stupid because I cant install from a fucken CD!!! HELP ME TEK

Maybe there was a problem when you burned the cd? I had a similar problem installing win 2k on my desktop (but with floppy disks).

Also... where did you download it from? I believe mandrake is open source (most linux os' are), so someone could've just modified the source.

LOL man It's full I got it from www.linux.org

It this is happening on all versions of Linux Mandrake 8.0,8.1 and Red Hat as well. Help me!

Do your self a favor, and redownload the disto. Your best bet is to use a mirror. Use .edu's there always the fastest. I downloaded Red Hat from berkeley.edu at 300k/s. Did you have to resume your original download? I find that sometimes when I have to do multiple resumes on downloads, theres more room for error.

P.S. This is my 70th post!

Nah man It's fine I found out what was wrong not a Bootable CD I took care of it thanks man

Do your self a favor, and redownload the disto. Your best bet is to use a mirror. Use .edu's there always the fastest. I downloaded Red Hat from berkeley.edu at 300k/s. Did you have to resume your original download? I find that sometimes when I have to do multiple resumes on downloads, theres more room for error.

P.S. This is my 70th post!

I used to resume all the time (when i had 56k, i had software where i would turn on my computer, eventually boot up into windows, then automatically log onto my dial-up service. It would then resume whatever downloads i had before.)

I never had a problem with the software i downloaded, and it would resume like a dozen times in a 100 meg file. Chances of errors are greater, but the chance of your hard drive increases with age...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.