calm down. and i actually have noticed the vid card thing is the opposite btw

ubuntu, debian and and mepis all dont like my radeon x600. they all try to use an incorrect driver (either radeon or ati cant remember but using whatever the other one is fixes it)

but pclinuxos detected it just fine. wierd

calm down. and i actually have noticed the vid card thing is the opposite btw

ubuntu, debian and and mepis all dont like my radeon x600. they all try to use an incorrect driver (either radeon or ati cant remember but using whatever the other one is fixes it)

but pclinuxos detected it just fine. wierd

Just install the propeitary drivers manually,it's not hard.

Not having the properiatary drivers included on the cd means i have to do a text based install (or in the case of ubuntu, use the alternate cd) which is a pain. PCLinux OS is just easier.

Also, who is having problems with the Ubuntu Feisty RC? Seems theyve changed the way networks are handled and now it doesnt like m ywifi card (which is bad as ubuntu 6.10 is the only distro that ever worked with it :()

well a text install isn't hard, you just cross your fingers and hope it works.

Kind of defeats the point of ubuntus LiveCD though. Dont mind text installs generaly (prefefered choice for servers), just so long as they work. Hate the ones in FreeBSD/Slackware though (where you have to go back to go forward)

i know, i still can't figure out how to install slackware, it's just so freaking complicated.

Its the same problem with me and freebsd :)

I managed to do Gentoo Stage 1 and LFS but slackware and BSD still confuse me

>i know, i still can't figure out how to install slackware, it's just so freaking complicated.
It's been a while since I last installed Slackware, but I certainly don't remember it being any more complicated than Debian's text-based installer. The one thing that you have to remember if you want a GUI, is that you must change the default runlevel from 3 to 4 (as opposed to 5).

debian is easy, bsd and slackware = confusing.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.