To install MEPIS using the 'Custom install to existing partitions' option that is in the MEPIS installer you first need to create your custom partitions.
You can create the custom partitions using gparted. Gparted is used like a live linux cd. It is downloaded as an iso and burnt as an image.
Use gparted to create the three partitions that you need for an average MEPIS install.
Example: If you have an xp partition, and you want to boot windows and MEPIS, you will use gparted to shrink the xp partition to as small as you need. I usually would leave about 4 or 5 Gb of free space for windows to use. The rest is for MEPIS and maybe some other operating systems too.
If you have a 250 Gb drive then you would keep about twenty Gb in total for windows. Don't make the windows partition too big as you probably won't be using windows much any more and there's no sense in wasting space.
Next you will need a root partition. This partition should be about 7 or 8 Gb but you can do it with 5, 7 or 8 is better. Format the root partition as ext3 with gparted. The root partition is where the configuration files go. After creating the root partition you will need a linux/swap partition. The linux/swap partition should be about 1Gb in size and will be formatted as linux/swap.
This is important. Your fourth partition HAS to be an 'Extended' partition that uses ALL of the remaining space on your drive.
The 'extended' partition can then be divided up into as many logical partitions as you will need in the future. This act gets around the four primary partition limit on hard drives.
From the 'extended' partition you will need to create a logical partition for your home files. Make it as big as you need, at least 50 or 60 Gb in size. Format the home partition as ext3.
You do all of these tasks at once while you are using gparted.
Now you should have a lot of free space in your extended partition to play with. You will use this space later to install as many more linux operating systems as you may want to try out while never messing with your main installs of MEPIS or of MEPIS and windows. More on that later in another thread.
When you install just remember which partition is which. Choose the partitions that you want root. swap and home to be on. It's easy with the MEPIS installer as it will list the partitions by number and by size.
When you install MEPIS you will be asked if you want to install grub to the Mbr of hda or if you want grub in the root partition.
Just this once you can install grub to the Mbr of hda. If you have windows on hda1 then MEPIS will set up so you can boot MEPIS or windows at first boot.
Remember that this is the only time you will install grub to the Mbr of hda. All other operating systems that I will show you how to install later must have grub installed to root. Only the very first install of MEPIS gets to re-write the master boot record. Every 'extra' install, of MEPIS or some other linux, will have grub installed to root. That will keep the Master Boot Record safe.
So for the first install of MEPIS we will install grub to the Mbr of hda.

That's it. Now you can install MEPIS and enjoy the freedom from windows and windows infections. No more virus or spyware scans or virus infections. Linux is safe from those threats.

Or you can now dual boot windows and MEPIS. Nice to have a choice.
I usually say to dual boot when you first try MEPIS. That way you can still play the games and programs that you are used to. After a while you will be bored with windows and will never need it again. Until that time I say dual boot.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Have you ever considered that this isn't the MEPIS installation forum? I realize that there's not so much talk in this particular forum, but we're not desperate for material either...

Well if you don't like it then stay off my threads. The info I posted can be used for creating custom partitions for ubuntu, debian, kanotix, sidux, and any other linux that likes separate root, home and linux/swap partitions so bug off. This thread is about creating partitions for MEPIS and other linux's so unless you have something add to the thread in a constructive way then don't waste my time with your garbage post. This is a free forum and I will post whatever I want to in a helpful manner and whenever I feel like it. I don't need your approval so scram. Unless you can add something constructive. Which is unlikely judging from your last post. Beat it and don't bother posting on my threads unless you want a blast from me. I'm being serious and don't want to hear your bunk. Clear enough for you? Or are you looking for a fight? It sure looks like it. If you don't think that my post was more helpful than yours then you are a twisted fellow. I don't know why you even posted? Just looking for some trouble? Well fly at 'er man . Do what you can to get me kicked off why don't you. I wasn't causing any trouble til you started it. I'm not going to listen to your crap at all. Leave my threads alone. Your post is rude. You're rude. Hows that for a rebuttal? Had enough?

Well if you don't like it then stay off my threads. The info I posted can be used for creating custom partitions for ubuntu, debian, kanotix, sidux, and any other linux that likes separate root, home and linux/swap partitions so bug off. This thread is about creating partitions for MEPIS and other linux's so unless you have something add to the thread in a constructive way then don't waste my time with your garbage post. This is a free forum and I will post whatever I want to in a helpful manner and whenever I feel like it. I don't need your approval so scram. Unless you can add something constructive. Which is unlikely judging from your last post. Beat it and don't bother posting on my threads unless you want a blast from me. I'm being serious and don't want to hear your bunk. Clear enough for you? Or are you looking for a fight? It sure looks like it. If you don't think that my post was more helpful than yours then you are a twisted fellow. I don't know why you even posted? Just looking for some trouble? Well fly at 'er man . Do what you can to get me kicked off why don't you. I wasn't causing any trouble til you started it. I'm not going to listen to your crap at all. Leave my threads alone. Your post is rude. You're rude. Hows that for a rebuttal? Had enough?

Are you serious? Honestly, you have so many topics dedicated to MEPIS alone, and few were even prompted by questions/problems that people had. I'm no moderater but I think a better place for these answers to questions nobody asked threads would be better served and used if made into help guides on the MEPIS forums.

I clicked the 'flag bad post' option on your thread and made a complaint about you posting junk on my thread. You should have just kept your mouth shut. Nothing gets me going faster than an idiot posting a non-produtive, non-helpful post on a thread meant to help users learn how to create the custom partitions needed to install many types of linux. Please put me on your ignore list. And then DO ignore me. I don't need your type of posts staining my threads. So stay off my threads unless you can contribute in a postitive and adult manner. Period.:mad: :mad:

Are you serious? Honestly, you have so many topics dedicated to MEPIS alone, and few were even prompted by questions/problems that people had. I'm no moderater but I think a better place for these answers to questions nobody asked threads would be better served and used if made into help guides on the MEPIS forums.

Are you serious? Of course my posts are all about MEPIS so what if they are? This forum is called 'Getting started and choosing a distro'. That's what I am posting about. Trying to make it easier for anyone new to make the custom partitions that they need to install MEPIS and many more types of linux. You don't need to read my threads and make stupid remarks about what I post about or how many threads that I start. What difference is it to you? I must not be promoting your favorite little version of linux. Well so what. I've probably used it and turfed it too. I post trying to help people with things that they may need and you're busy counting my threads and commenting on what I post when you have no idea of the big picture. My posts can help more than MEPIS users. How did your post help anyone? I can't see where it did. It's just more snobbery. You can take a flying leap off of a cliff for all I care. You're one of those guys that looks for trouble well I can dish it out as good as any. I don't need your approval. I don't want your input if that's the style of your posts. This is a free forum and i wasn't breaking any rules by posting while your post was just a harrasment about the posts I make being so MEPIS. MEPIS. MEPIS. Get over it . Put me on your ignore list so i don't have put up with your crappy posts. How 'bout that?

commented: Idiot. -2

FWIW I think the original posting is fine, it is relevant to the forum topic and helpful to anyone with an interest in MEPIS.

If you don't have such an interest, fair enough, but that doesn't mean others cannot benefit.

Can I ask people to cool down, and that is on both sides please. Flying off the handle at the merest hint of criticism is also considered as rude by many...

I'm cool. I just get hot when I get critics jumping all over my posts when I'm trying to help. Sorry for my rants but you know I NEVER start stuff like that. I'm not rude. I don't like to argue. But on the same note I'm not going to sit back and have my posts cheapened by critics that have no MEPIS experience. No more rants from me if you be realistic about my posts. You can look at every one of my posts. I don't start rude posts but I won't tolerate rude posts either. How about PMing some of the members here that have been rude to me? Are rude posts just ignored if the rude poster has been here for a long time? I never start rude posts but if you get me going I guess my behaviour could look rude. It's meant to be rude when I am rebutting a rude post. Sorry but I give back what I get. I treat everyone with respect and expect the same. Is that too much to ask? I keep my MEPIS MEPIS MEPIS posts on MEPIS threads. I love it when someone can add something relevent to one of my posts. That's awesome and welcome. Rudeness begets rudeness. Respect begets respect.

I'm going to break down your post down into sections to show the absurdity of your claim in your last post.

Are you serious?

Repeat what I say, mature

Of course my posts are all about MEPIS so what if they are? This forum is called 'Getting started and choosing a distro'. That's what I am posting about. Trying to make it easier for anyone new to make the custom partitions that they need to install MEPIS and many more types of linux.

Defending what you said, which is okay, but if you read what I originally posted, you would know that the only problem I had with your defense was that no one had asked these questions.

You don't need to read my threads and make stupid remarks about what I post about or how many threads that I start. What difference is it to you?

Calling me stupid, I don't think any other analysis on your maturity is needed here.

I must not be promoting your favorite little version of linux. Well so what. I've probably used it and turfed it too.

Who says I use Linux? Did I?

I post trying to help people with things that they may need and you're busy counting my threads and commenting on what I post when you have no idea of the big picture.

Big picture? What Big picture, the answer to life, the universe and everything? Or, a how-to on partitioning? I'm glad you put that into perspective for me.

My posts can help more than MEPIS users. How did your post help anyone? I can't see where it did. It's just more snobbery.

*swirls wine glass* "How unrefined."

You can take a flying leap off of a cliff for all I care.

Traditionally, telling your opponent to "kill themselves" has never proved an ideal way of demonstrating that they are the unreasonable one.

You're one of those guys that looks for trouble well I can dish it out as good as any. I don't need your approval. I don't want your input if that's the style of your posts. This is a free forum and i wasn't breaking any rules by posting while your post was just a harrasment about the posts I make being so MEPIS. MEPIS. MEPIS. Get over it . Put me on your ignore list so i don't have put up with your crappy posts. How 'bout that?

I think this rant sums everything up pretty well.

I'm cool.

No, no you are not

commented: I've given up on him... glad to see you're still trying though --joeprogrammer +9

OK, one more try before this thread gets closed:

Everyone calm down

If you don't like a posting that is in the right place and on topic, fine, don't read it but don't respond with comments basically saying 'I don't like this' and adding nothing of substance to the thread.

If someone posts a comment that is not praising MEPIS or is in some way critical of it or even the original post itself, do not fly off the handle with a rude and aggressive response. Try taking a deep breath, try counting to 10, try ignoring it.

We do not mind, indeed we encourage healthy debate here at DaniWeb. We will not, however, stand for flamebait, nor agressive and rude postings.

Remember there are two sides to every argument, and even in the world of Linux fanboys there are (at least) two opinions on every distro.

If everyone can just try and get along I will be happy. If not, I will come down hard to ensure that overall community happiness is not trodden underfoot.

This is my final warning, as it were, and I will close this thread if the situation continues...

happygeek you go ahead and close the thread if you want. I tell it like it is.
So.....

Macgyver your nothing but a punk and a troublemaker. Stay off of my threads. I don't need a loser like you trying act like a smart ass on a serious thread. You are NOT a representitive of this site and you sure as heck don't own it so dry up. Maybe see a shrink to help with the issues that you obviously have. Get some medication that will help. Celexa comes to mind. 100Mg a shot should keep you happy.

commented: The statement you just said is better applied to you. -2
commented: An agressive, unpleasant and uncalled for posting. -4

Ok. Thats it. Thread is now closed. There was no need for those last remarks. happygeek called for calm etc and you responded with another verbal.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.