Wow. The new MEPIS release is geared a lot more toward Mac Tel users than ever before.
Quote from Warren Woodford
"The MEPIS CDs contain an experimental "SimplyMEPIS Assistant" for OSX that helps prepare a MacTel computer for the installation of SimplyMEPIS. And the MEPIS installer detects MacTel hardware and disables features that might damage an OSX system drive. It appears that MEPIS is the only Linux committed to this level of MacTel support."

MEPIS is the only linux that I have heard of doing this. Good news for the mac users.

And some good news for the JMicron IDE chip
Quote from warren..
"Our 2.6.15 kernel works out-of-the-box with the JMicron IDE chip that was placed on several Intel 965 based motherboards including the Asus P5 series."
The story is good news all around. Here's the link to 'the rest of the story'
<URL snipped>

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

awesome, i'd like to state that so far i have seen nothing but sense coming out of you, i don't use mepis or have a mac, so this is a bit off topic but i felt you needed deserved praise

keep up the good work ;)
p.s. r.e. your locked thread, i think you were wholely in the right and i on't understand why people pick on you so much here

awesome, i'd like to state that so far i have seen nothing but sense coming out of you, i don't use mepis or have a mac, so this is a bit off topic but i felt you needed deserved praise

keep up the good work ;)
p.s. r.e. your locked thread, i think you were wholely in the right and i on't understand why people pick on you so much here

Thanks for the support. I don't know why I get so much static at this site. I have no trouble at all at the other sites that I post on. I guess it's my way of trying to promote MEPIS. I am usually available at this link where I am a moderator and guide for MEPIS users. You can get help from me there.
<URL snipped>
You can get help from me here too but i don't hang out here all day anymore. I can be reached through this site by email notification. Or at MEPISlovers. Thanks again.

should people starting out in mepis get 'released' or 'testing' ?

in case it's relevant, it will be installed on a P2 350 with a radeon 9200 using tv out. i've had issues with other distro's doing it this way because they don't think about people installing using a TV and when X boots, the display is garbled because the refresh is wrong :/ will mepis be ok for that? i guess i'll soon find out :)

I would say to use 'released' . 'Testing' is for testers that don't need a stable system. 'Released' is a lot more stable.
The computer that you are going to try this with may be too small for mepis. You need at least 256 Mb of ram to make things work good with kde. You should be able to switch to xfce or fluxbox using synaptic package manager and that would be a lot quicker for you if ram is 128. See ya

>The computer that you are going to try this with may be too small for mepis.

careful mate, thats not true at all, because of what you said next!

>You should be able to switch to xfce or fluxbox using synaptic package manager and that would be a lot quicker for you if ram is 128.

kde on a 350? no joke there lmao, no mate, definately a scenario for fluxbox imho ;) allthough i did try ubuntu on it with gnome, but it was doggishly sloooooow, i forget how much ram is in it atm.

I'm still wondering about the tv-out :) i'll be trying it in the next week or so (short on money and no spare cd) so i'll let you know. i wish some distributions (ubuntu for one) wouldn't use framebuffer for the install, you can't possibly know the configuration of the hardware output when multiple outputs are possible!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.