Hi,
I have just got linux, and when i try to set up an internet connection it just wont detect my modem. It is a USB ADSL speedtough modem. On windows it connects at 8 mbps.
What do i do?

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

What linux distribution do you have? There should be a program to help add an Internet connection..

Luckily, you are able to get linux drivers for the speedtouch modem - but they are not available through normal channels due to licencing issues

umm.. i am not sure it is proper linux. It is backtrack 2.0. basicly it is a disk you put in whilst your computer starts, and it boots the entire operating system off one disk, no need to install or anything. i have two disk drives so i can still load cd's nd stuff, only it dosnt like it.
Oh and thanks for your reply joshSCH on my string about my "dead screen" i think it is the RAM.

You mean a LiveCD?

umm.. i am not sure it is proper linux. It is backtrack 2.0. basicly it is a disk you put in whilst your computer starts, and it boots the entire operating system off one disk, no need to install or anything. i have two disk drives so i can still load cd's nd stuff, only it dosnt like it.

I agree with jbennet that you are using a live linux cd. Very few live linux cds can install apps or anything while using the live cd version of whatever linux that you have. That is not the case with the new SimplyMEPIS 6.5 and the new PClinuxOS. Both of these awesome distros can install some things in the live environment. Like video drivers to try in the live cd environment. I think that there are some other live linux cds that you can install a few things while using the live cd.

Backtrack is linux.

BackTrack is a Slackware and SLAX-based live CD with a collection of security and forensics tools.

BackTrack distribution was created by merging Auditor Security Linux with WHAX (formerly Whoppix).

Combining the best features from both distributions, and paying special attention to small details, this is probably the best version of either distributions to ever come out.

Based on SLAX (Slackware), BackTrack provides user modularity. This means the distribution can be easily customised by the user to include personal scripts, additional tools, customised kernels, etc.

New exciting features in BackTrack 2: updated kernel 2.6.20 with several patches; Broadcom-based wireless card support; most wireless drivers are built to support raw packet injection

Read this link if you want to know more about backtrack.
http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/Operating-Systems/Linux-Distributions/BackTrack-9477.shtml

Wow. It looks pretty good already. I like anything with kde. Nice choice for a distro.

um... thanks i think. lol so i shoud try to get SimplyMEPIS 6.5 or PClinuxOS. then i will be able to ionstall drivers for my modem?

get a real distro, debian should be good for you. And yes you will be. Debian and some other distros do not include that much proprietary software in their repositories. So you might have to get it manually.

um... thanks i think. lol so i shoud try to get SimplyMEPIS 6.5 or PClinuxOS. then i will be able to ionstall drivers for my modem?

I would try SimplyMEPIS 6.5. If you have a very old computer I would use antiX. You can find antiX at distrowatch under mepis. It is a stripped down version of 6.5 with some gnome stuff and comes with fluxbox as a windows manager. Runs well on 128Mb of ram. I had another post here that got deleted as I mentioned another forum and I guess that is spam.
I have tried many many linux's and I like mepis the best. Check it out and see. It has kde so it will be a lot like what you use now.
Mepis has great support for a new user.

MEPIS is better on older PCs but IMHO its easier to configure modems etc.... in PCLinuxOS

Depends on your personal preferance, but I would personally got for Debian. Its the oldest, and has the most software and the biggest userbase of the 3 distributions mentioned

thanks, i do have a few socket 7 pc's that i have wondering what to do with, so i'll try some MEPIS versions. as for the modem, i got it working on KNOPPIX. Thatks for the help everyone, its really been aprecated.

Thanks

thanks, i do have a few socket 7 pc's that i have wondering what to do with, so i'll try some MEPIS versions. as for the modem, i got it working on KNOPPIX. Thanks for the help everyone, its really been aprecated.

Thanks

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.