There's a new version of MEPISLite out. It is called AntiX. It is based on SimplyMEPIS 6.5 and is designed to work on older boxes with low ram. It comes with fluxbox and doesn't come with kde. It has the MEPIS installer as well as some other MEPIS goodies. It is the fastest MEPIS I have ever used since 2004. I am posting from it right now. Installed to hard drive and chainloaded with grub. I was toying with the new PclinuxOs and the new sidux but I like antiX better. It's waay faster than any other distro. Not an idle claim, fact. Test it yourself or read about it at distrowatch. I wouldn't use PclinuxOs from the super slow way that synaptic loads up. Thumbs down. Other than the slow synaptic PclinuxOs is the next best thing to MEPIS. Looks and feels a lot like MEPIS. I would probably be a diehard PclinuxOs supporter if there was no MEPIS. Thank god for MEPIS. And antiX.

Recommended Answers

All 50 Replies

Member Avatar for TKSS

Synaptic has been updated in the PCLOS repositories and it now has a much snappier start :D

>It's waay faster than any other distro

only because it doesn't require high system specs. just like debian, it's the fastest distro i've ever used.

Synaptic has been updated in the PCLOS repositories and it now has a much snappier start :D

It would have to be a lot quicker. I'll boot into pclinux and see what the upgrade does. I found that upgrading a pile of packages on pclinux was slow but maybe that's fixed with a better synaptic.
AntiX will start synaptic in a couple of seconds and pclinux was well over a minute or more. Not exactly sure how long it was really taking pclinux to start synaptic as I left and made a sandwich and synaptic was still just getting going. Mepis loads synaptic a little bit slower than antiX. About twenty seconds or less maybe.
I did find that pclinux was good. I like it almost as much as MEPIS. I like anything with kde. Fluxbox is pretty neat too. AntiX has fluxbox which I have been using for a few days. It's hard to decide on which is the best. simplymepis 3.4.3 has been the fastest overall but antiX is quicker yet. Might be the quickest os I've ever used.

>It's waay faster than any other distro that I have used

only because it doesn't require high system specs. just like debian, it's the fastest distro i've ever used.

Well how would you know anything about antiX ? From personal experience?
I've tried debian in several versions and the fastest of them all was mepis's 3.4.3. So I know from personal experience.
AntiX is faster than 3.4.3 by a little bit. Probably due to fluxbox being faster than kde.

Now I know that you have never tried antiX and are really just talking through your hat but untill you really try it you are not credible when you make your comparisons. To me anyways. And probably some others.
You always seem like you are trying to start some sort of trouble on all my threads and posts. If you don't like MEPIS then that's your business, if you think that your install of debian is the fastest that you have used then by all means start your own thread and explain everything that you did to make it so fast. Otherwise save your comments for some thread where you can sound off as you please. I wasn't soliciting any other 'fast operating system' comments to try and compare with antiX.
There is really only one way to compare and that is by downloading the live antiX cd from distrowatch and trying it out. Use vmware or install it to hard drive as I did. But save your comments until you can be helpful and constructive.
You can get antiX at distrowatch. It's listed as a mepis os. Unless you don't want to try it 'cause you don't know how to use fluxbox. It is a little different. Gotta right click the fluxbox screen to get anything done. It comes with some kdelibs so you can run kde apps. And you can build up antiX to the way you want. Comes with the MEPIS installer and more. It is so fast that even though I am a diehard kde fan I have been using antiX just 'cause it is faster than anything else that i have installed. That includes the latest new release of sidux, pclinuxos 2007 final, knoppix newsest, MEPIS 6.5 final, MEPIS 6.0, MEPIS 3.4.3, MEPIS 3.3.1-1, MEPISLite 3.3.2,
Speedwise on my machine these operating systems line up like this;
1) Antix. Definately the fastest.
2)MEPIS 3.4.3 Used to be the fastest but is still faster than the rest.
3)MEPIS 6.5 Right behind 3.4.3 ,
The next guys are all pretty close to each other in speed.....
4)MEPIS 6.0
5)PCLinuxOS
6)Sidux
7)Knoppix
8)MEPIS 3.3.1-1 and MEPISLite 3.3.2 are both slow compared to the rest of the guys on this list.
This is on a middle of the road older box. P4 2000Mhz,1.16 Gb ram, two 250 Gb drives, dvd rom and dvd burner.

commented: stop attacking people who disagree with you -4

mmm i may try antix. Before i used DSL but its too basic.

>Now I know that you have never tried antiX
Did he tell you that?

>You always seem like you are trying to start some sort of trouble on
>all my threads and posts.
I don't see why you're so offended by that statement; generally speaking, the lower an operating system's minimum requirements, the faster it will run. You said yourself that AntiX was designed with low-RAM boxes in mind, and while I've never used it myself, I think it isn't at all illogical to say that this is the reason it runs so fast.

>Now I know that you have never tried antiX
Did he tell you that?

Considering that antiX has only been out at distrowatch for three days and MEPIS sentiment at this forum is low I think it would be a pretty safe bet that he or anyone else here hasn't used antiX. Except me of course. The version of antiX at distrowatch is antiX rc5. I have been beta testing antiX rc5 and others.

Originally Posted by joeprogrammer
I don't see why you're so offended by that statement

it's just the way that he said it. He said " only because it doesn't require high system specs" You go read all the posts that TheNNS has posted on the threads that I have posted on and decide for yourself. He trolls almost every thread I post in. If you read his replies to my posts you would see why I get a bit defensive at this site. But not from everyone. I never look for hassles. I just like helping people use MEPIS. Or antiX. Or linux in general if I can. Not fight over which version of Linux is the best one. I'm sick of scrapping over which linux is better. I keep MEPIS off of non-MEPIS threads as I was told to in emails from certain mods so I expect others to do the same on my threads.

>I think it would be a pretty safe bet that he or anyone else here
>hasn't used antiX.
There's a bit of a difference between a "safe bet" and actually knowing something.

>it's just the way that he said it.
Don't be picky. The statement was true, was it not?

>He trolls almost every thread I post in.
If that were the case, I'm sure he would have already been banned by now.

>I think it would be a pretty safe bet that he or anyone else here
>hasn't used antiX.
There's a bit of a difference between a "safe bet" and actually knowing something.

You can pick nits but i would bet you that at the time of my original post at this forum I was the only antiX user with it installed to hard drive. That will change though . Wanna bet?

You always seem like you are trying to start some sort of trouble on all my threads and posts.

STOP IT

His response was a valid one, it was not malicious, it was not a personal assault. If you really hate having anything you say questioned in any way whatsoever quite so much, may I suggest that you say nothing.

We have been down this road before, and I do not intend going down it again. This is a community, not everyone is going to agree with you all the time, some people are going to disagree with you all the time.

And please do not respond with 'well he started it' because I really do not want to hear it. Please moderate the aggression in the tone of your replies, stop making personal attacks, read the keep it pleasant rule and calm down...

yeah i was about to say the same thing. Anyway, in response to my previous post, i installed AntiX over DSL. AntiX is better for my needs as it feels a lot more like a proper distro, just smaller and faster, where DSL always feels somewhat lacking. There are afew bugs though but i think theyll be fixed soon, its just because its new.

Mep, after reading many of your threads and posts, I've got to say that I think you're a bit too sensitive and need to lighten up...I have seen nothing that was overtly antagonistic toward you, yet I have seen several posts by you that WERE!
Once again, I say lighten up...and if you decide to leave, well then, good riddance!

>I won't stand by and let anyone attack me when I did nothing to provoke.
On the contrary. It seems like you were attacking a lot of people who did nothing to provoke you. And if they really did attack you, you would have been better off reporting it to a moderator via the "flag bad post" or using the PM system. Flaming someone back makes yourself no better than the offender.

>I will ALWAYS say whatever I feel like.
I guess forum rules don't interest you... oh well. :icon_rolleyes:

>You seem a bit too eager to fly at me over what?
Pot. Kettle. Black.

>You guys are cut off.
Good riddance.

here here

but this " only because it doesn't require high system specs. just like debian, it's the fastest distro i've ever used. "
was a) nonsensicle. - comparisons are made in identical situations ie the same machine,
and b)
was a blatant attempt and succeeded in instigating the thread heat and now sitting back and grinning. the rest following like sheep to agree to agrevate further and down onto this very post HERE ;)

I don't mind having my posts questioned. I won't stand by and let anyone attack me when I did nothing to provoke.

I fail to see where you were attacked. Perhaps you need to be a little less sensitive/defensive?

As for you suggesting that I say nothing....you can suggest that all day and night for all the good it will do.... I will ALWAYS say whatever I feel like.

And that is where the problem lies. You make assumptions too fast and open your mouth before you place your brain into gear. Sit back and look at responses as a third party, not as the parent of a spoiled child.

And you have the nerve to pm me over this and give me a warning? You seem a bit too eager to fly at me over what? Stick it. I'm gone.

Goodbye.

Who needs the crap I have to put up with at this snobbish site. I have never seen a bigger bunch of holes in my life. I will post help for MEPIS but not here anymore. You guys are cut off. That should make a few of the peanut gallery happy.
I can be found at linuxquestions or mepislovers. It's not worth my time and effort to bother with this site. I salute you in the style of past canadian prime minister pierre elliot trudeau.
The one positive thing was at least jbennet tried MEPIS and is trying antiX. Maybe some more will too just from jbennet trying.

None of that is correct.

let anyone say whatever they feel like in a thread that I have started. That's not ever going to happen.

Yes it is, you start a thread you do not own it.

And you have the nerve to pm me over this and give me a warning?

Yes indeed, I was actually being friendly and letting you know that you were already on a 5 point infraction and one more would get you banned. I was giving you the opportunity to avoid that ban by modifying your behavior.

hmmm

oh dear i thaught we had gotten past this!

please stop bickering!

i tried antix on my ex-dsl pc. well, it is good on low end PCs but IMHO its not really that much better than a cut down and tweaked version of debian stable.

but this " only because it doesn't require high system specs. just like debian, it's the fastest distro i've ever used. "
was a) nonsensicle. - comparisons are made in identical situations ie the same machine,

This statement still holds true as far as I can see. You strip down OS components, it uses less system resources, and as a result it runs faster. I think TheNNS's point was that it's not much different than Xubuntu or Debian because it's got less "stuff".

was a blatant attempt and succeeded in instigating the thread heat and now sitting back and grinning. the rest following like sheep to agree to agrevate further and down onto this very post HERE

I don't think so. TheNNS was not aggressive, he did not say that MEPIS was worse than another distro, and he did not attack MEPIS. He simply stated a fact about it that seemed to make mepnoob fly off the handle.

>please stop bickering!
It's not possible to bicker when the opponent has left. And by the way, discussion is a completely different thing than bickering.

i do agree though, its no faster than a tweaked debian

as it's been said before, it's only faster because of the low system requirements, and it really doesn't make a difference, i'm sure antix is great just like debian and a bunch of other light weigth distros.

Member Avatar for TKSS

Well, coming from a person who's used MEPIS since version 2003.06, (me) I'd say that MEPIS getting faster isn't going to help much. It's one of the slower distros I've tried. Yoper, PCLinuxOS, Arch, and a handful of others are much quicker :/ I'm using boot speed and general operation.

synaptic repositories aren't much of a concern for me...I schedule updates in the middle of the night so I'm not too worried about doing them when I'm sitting at the terminal.

i think its because Mepises HDPARM defaults suck. They are set to be safe and not use DMA or 32 bit access. This is a good idea for stability and older h/w but it makes it slowwwwwwwwww

Tweaking hdparm makes it about the same speed as most other distros

Member Avatar for TKSS

jbennet,

It's also the arch it is compiled for. It's compiled i386 which doesn't take advantage of many modern processors. If you look at yoper and PCLinuxOS, both are i686 arch. My boot time in PCLOS is 32 seconds average over 10 boots. That's speed. Synaptic has been updated in the testing repos and from testing, I've found that it is much quicker...that should filter out into the main repo soon.

Overall though, use what Linux works for you! As long as we're all using Linux, we win :D

the number of enabled services also matters.

a debian testing install with no server services, no X or anything takes under 10 seconds

>Overall though, use what Linux works for you! As long as we're all using Linux, we win :D

I agree, as long as you use linux, you're a winner.

that comment is likely to upset the BSD and Hurd crowd....

all the bsd's, (freeBSD, openBSD, netBSD) are hard to configure, confusing and hard to configure.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.