I set gnome as my default shell, and had graphical problems with that. Then I tweaked the XF86config a bit, and then it worked. I login at a text interface. When I try to start kde with the cmd 'startkde' I get a series of errors, and then shows this message that repeat itself in the text interface. I would get it but its the morning and I haven't had coffee. Then if i reinstall, let kde be my default shell, I use startx, it boots, but then I get this garbled screen and its frozen. I use an ATI radeon 7500. I also dual-boot with WinXP and Redhat 7.3. Also my favorite radio station is WTMX 101.9, 'The Mix' in Chicago even though I live in New York.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

What does this: "Also my favorite radio station is WTMX 101.9, 'The Mix' in Chicago even though I live in New York." have to do with the post? lol

I like sushi.

Wow. More OT stuff. Can you please say *ON* topic?

T: So how many ADD people does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
R: How many?
T: You wanna go ride bikes?

You have to start X with "startx" regardless of which wm you use.

If you want to have KDE as your window manager, edit your ~/.xinitrc

# My .xinitrc file.
 # Uncomment the one that I want to use
 exec startkde  #KDE
 #gnome-session  #Gnome
 # another wm start command here

Notice that you can have as many as you want, but you can only have one (1) UNcommented.

This works in Linux as well as FreeBSD.

Wow. Old thread. Didn't even notice :P

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.