Member Avatar for iamthwee

Ok, whilst opensuse looked real purdy it just wasn't lean enough for me.

So I decided to switch to xbuntu for maximum speed and usability. At the moment it's just great

I intend to start gui development with mono and stetic.

So this is going to be a thread mainly about my experimentation with that.

So first question. How do I install mono-stetic?

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

never used them myself and im unsure about your linux experience but here goes:

go to a console:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install (packagename)

This will install the packages. e.g to install apache i would type:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install apache2

The commands download the software from software repositories on the net and sets it up for you. It will also take care of any depedencies by updating or installing any required software Only problem is that some of these repositories may not be enabled by default

Regular ubuntu has a program called synaptic which is a nice GUI front end to the commands i just described where you can search for packages and add/modify repositories. Im not sure if Xubuntu has this.

For your own referance, here is how you keep your system up to date

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Important packages are usually not upgraded and my advice is that if they work for you, keep them as they are. but if you ever need to

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
commented: You the man, P.s you got a part time job yet he he. +11

Thanx bennet, you were rigtht about suse being a memory hog I only just realised when I did a free command at the terminal.

i will try to do

sudo apt-get install mono

But I want stetic as well which should be a gui builder. How do i get this?

a number of ways

A: add the better repositorties.

I dont use ubuntu much but i believe they have repositories named "Universe" and "Multiverse" where large amaounts of software are held. Use the repositories windows under synaptics GUI (i think its undet tools) or manually edit /etc/apt/sources.list

If synaptic (a really nice package manager and the de-facto standard for debian based systems) isnt installed, you can always apt-get it.

B:

Alternatively, you can add stetics own repository (if they have one). Larger projects like WINE often have thier own, where you can be sure to get up-to-date software

C:

manually download the .deb packages from thier site and double click to install them. This is a bit more tricky however, with regards to dependencies.

Ok I also did install monodevelop, (and that worked)

but, the gui builder is nothing like visual studio. It is horrendous. Eugh! Well maybe I need to read the documentation, but I'm finding hard to resize buttons and create event handlers. Normally I would just double click on a button to create an event handler not here!

Wait a second is there a monobasic, that would be more like vb.net right?

i dont know but i know there is Gambas. Gambas is like VB6

Does that sit on a framework too? In any case i'm not interested in that, mono is all the rage.

No, its standalone :(

but, the gui builder is nothing like visual studio. It is horrendous. Eugh!

LOL! Did you expect it to be? :D

LOL! Did you expect it to be? :D

Erm yes, :( that's why I downloaded it. unless I'm missing a package?

can you do mono in Kdevelop?
or is that only c++

i like that IDE...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.