Hello everyone. So I've been reading the threads in this forum for a while now and haven't really found what I'm looking for.
Basically I need to install a Linux-based system (onto my Windows PC) for work purposes. According to someone who's used the software etc, that I'm going to use, I should only need about 5 GB.

Now I know I need to partition my hard drive, but I don't know how to go about that. Anyone that can point me to any links, I'd be much obliged.
Also, my PC actually has two internal drives. One of them is the one that all the software and system files are on, and the other is just like an extra that I put games & movies on. Do I want to use the 1st one or does it not matter?

And also I've been reading about a variation of Linux systems, is it entirely up to me which one I use, up to my PC, or a trial & error thing (because some might not work?)

I think I should stop there and get those things sorted first before I get into too much stuff. All help is very much appreciated, thanks!

Oh by the way I've got Windows XP Pro, SP2, 30 GB on C drive (Drive no. 1), 80 GB on D drive (No. 2), 512 MB Ram, 2.40 Ghz Intel processor.

Recommended Answers

All 20 Replies

I've just been looking at one of the other threads actually, and it's got some helpful stuff to start me off. I'll post some other questions if necessary. Thanks for looking.

After talking to a friend, I'm thinking of running Virtual PC instead of partitioning my drive. Anybody know of pros and cons regarding both methods?

>After talking to a friend, I'm thinking of running Virtual PC instead of partitioning my drive. Anybody know of pros and cons regarding both methods?

If you want to run a virtual machine I would recommend vmware server edition, its free and _a lot_ faster and better than Virtual PC.

pros about Virtual Machines:
* easy to set up and it allows you not to partition your harddrive
* allow you to run multiple operating systems at the same time

cons about Virtual Machines:
* very slow and usaully don't support 3d graphics (I think vmware fusion does but im not sure)

About partitioning your harddrive most linux distros come with partitioning tools. The tool depends on the distro, so what distro are you planning to use?

Hey thanks for replying, I intend to install Debian. The 3D graphics issue shouldn't be a problem for me as I only want to use linux for some programming.

Will check out vmware, thanks.

For just programming vmware should be fine. Debian is pretty straight forward you shouldn't have problems.

I believe Virtual PC does not support Linux OSs... I looked in the help files, and apart from Windows OSs, it says something called "OS/2..." can be guest operating systems. Now that's a bummer. Are u sure that vmware would support Debian Sturm?

Hi there, ok, I have installed vmware, and I get this message (the same one I used to get with Virtual PC) "Non-system disk or disk error
Replace and strike any key when ready".

Do you know what this means please, and how I can fix it? I've had a look at the help files, but they don't "help" much to be honest.

I believe Virtual PC does not support Linux OSs...

I'm positive that Virtual PC supports Linux.

I get this message (the same one I used to get with Virtual PC) "Non-system disk or disk error
Replace and strike any key when ready".

Sounds like you're trying to boot from the wrong image. Double-check that your virtual CD drive is set to the Debian CD and that the virtual machine is configured to boot from the virtual CD drive.

Did you burn the image or is vmware booting from the image on your computer? I haven't used vmware extensively but booting from a real cd would probably be easier.

Wow... I figured out the problem. I loaded up the BIOS menu when I started up the Virtual Machine, and I looked at the Boot Order, and saw that my Floppy Disk Drive was first, (which it shouldn't be cos I never use it) so I changed it to my CD drive... and now it's booting up.

I'm worried though, it says that if it partitions my disk, it will erase everything on the disk even though it's a "Virtual Hard Disk". Does this mean I need to back up what's on my disk before I continue booting?

No. Its completely virtual. Your harddrive for all intents and purposes to debian is the space you alloted when first creating your virtual machine. (usaully 4-8 gb)

I'm positive that Virtual PC supports Linux.

:-s You were right, I'm sorry for what must have seemed like blasphemy to your eyes :-p. The base system is being installed as I type.

My only worry is the virtual hard disk, I'm so paranoid that it's going to do something silly and wipe off some data that I've got on my physical hard disk. I hope it really is an irrational fear that isn't realised...

My only worry is the virtual hard disk, I'm so paranoid that it's going to do something silly and wipe off some data that I've got on my physical hard disk. I hope it really is an irrational fear that isn't realised...

Don't worry. There's no way it could accidentally wipe something out, because everything is virtual and completely isolated from your real system. If you were to look on your hard drive, the virtual hard disk consists of a single file. The virtual machine erases the contents of the file. You will also notice that the Debian installer will report a hard disk size far smaller than your physical hard disk size.

mm apparently you didn't believe me.

mm apparently you didn't believe me.

I know and please accept my sincerest apologies - what can I say, I don't trust computers very much! Anyways I got Debian running fine - still working on learning the commands to tell it to do stuff, but I think I'll be fine, thanks to you both.

Just to give an update:
I'm at the stage where I need to configure the package manager. And none of the mirrors seem to work, (it says Bad archive mirror
The specified Debian archive mirror is either not available, or does not have a valide Release file on it. Please try a different mirror).

Now I have tried all the UK mirrors and some european ones, and still I get the same msg. This tells me that maybe I've done something wrong, but I'm not sure what? I select http as the protocol for downloads, and I've tried both leaving the proxy information blank, and putting in some information into the fields (I am using a University network) and I still get the same message.

Any suggestions please?

Open a virtual terminal by hitting Control-Alt-F2. What is the output of the ifconfig command, and if you're using wireless, the iwconfig command? You can test the connection with ping:

ping google.com

Hit Control-C to stop.

[edit] Or are you in the virtual machine? If so, you'll need to configure VMWare or Virtual PC to pass the connection through to the virual machine. Check the configuration options.

commented: Helpful and relevant +4

Hey there, just wanted to say thanks for everything. I am writing this from my Ubuntu setup on VMWare. I configured it so that it uses the same network connection as the host computer. I get a bit of a lag effect with the mouse pointer, and it's not super fast(which I suppose has got to be expected, although I did allocate 512MB of RAM), but apart from that I'm pleased with it so far.

I'm only just doing this now because I had to get some extra hard disk space, as I previously allocated 2GB to it, which wasn't enough.
Thanks again!

installing vmware tools might speed things up a bit

Hi, hey yeah I did that and the difference was only slight. I also tried to put this msg up that day, but I think something was wrong with the daniweb server... oh well... Anyways I run the vmware toolbox everytime I startup, and yeah, hope it makes some difference, but even if it does, it's not a problem.
It's ok though, I'm quite happy with my installation, really is a useful piece of kit Ubuntu. will definitely look into getting a laptop or some other with just that OS installed.
Cheers

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.