Hi all,
I am final year student of computer science & engineering.I want to konw about how create a fairwall( in ipchain) in my PC.I use Red Hat Linux 9.
My another question in how build apachi server.

Please help me as soon as possible.
thanking you.....
with regards
Rishi

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hello,

I do not thin IPCHAINS is supported anymore under RH 9. I think you will need to learn how to use IPTABLES.

To build my firewalls that I use, I ended up purchasing a book called Linux Firewalls, and by doing some Google Searches on "Linux IPTABLES". There are a variety of online suggestions available out there.

A common idea in firewalling is to BLOCK ALL, and then only let in a handful of things.

As for apache servers, they are linux boxes with the web server installed upon them. If you are going to build a new RH box, go do the custom install, and you will see where you can add additional servers, such as web, mail, and ftp. Once you make the install, seek patches to update your system to the latest version.

For the most part, apache is install-and-go. On my systems, I have changed the standard "home" directory from /var/opt to /internet/www. I do this because logs are written to /var, and I would not want a log file to go nuts and fill the volume, and cause problems for apache. SO I put my apache on her own partition in the filesystem.

Christian

Hello,

I do not thin IPCHAINS is supported anymore under RH 9. I think you will need to learn how to use IPTABLES.

Yes- IPCHAINS was deprecated quite some time ago in favor of IPTABLES.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.