Hay im looking at getting a apple computer..:-/ ..and was wondering if i have to get different games to what i would get with a windows computer...so do i need to get spech games or normal windows ones??:-/

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

No windows programs work on mac but there are sometimes mac versions. There are hardly any mac games

Depends what you mean. If you mean putting Windows on an Intel Mac, then of course Macs can run Windows games. On a slightly different topic, Darwine (the port of Wine to the Mac) allows some Windows games to run on Mac OS X (usually at native speeds).

Depends what you mean. If you mean putting Windows on an Intel Mac, then of course Macs can run Windows games

Buy only if you own a full copy of XP or a full copy of one of the more expensive versions of Vista

Darwine (the port of Wine to the Mac) allows some Windows games to run on Mac OS X (usually at native speeds).

Doubt it. Cedga + FreeBSD on my box makes games sllllllllllowwww iof they run at all

>Buy only if you own a full copy of XP or a full copy of one of the more expensive versions of
>Vista
Any version of Windows should work on Boot Camp, provided that it's XP SP2 or later. Parallels Desktop is limited to only Vista Business and Vista Ultimate, but that virtualization restriction only applies when it's, well, being virtualized.

>Doubt it. Cedga + FreeBSD on my box makes games sllllllllllowwww iof they run at all
Well, in theory executable code should run just as fast or faster, as long as it doesn't make system calls.
http://www.winehq.org/site/myths

Myth 1: "Wine is slow because it is an emulator"
Some people mean by that that Wine must emulate each processor instruction of the Windows application. This is plain wrong. As Wine's name says: "Wine Is Not an Emulator": Wine does not emulate the Intel x86 processor. It will thus not be as slow as Wabi which, since it is not running on a x86 Intel processor, also has to emulate the processor. Windows applications that do not make system calls will run just as fast as on Windows (no more no less).

Some people argue that since Wine introduces an extra layer above the system a Windows application will run slowly. It is true that, in theory, Windows applications that run in Wine or are recompiled with Winelib will not be able to achieve the same performance as native Unix applications. But that's theory. In practice you will find that a well written Windows application can beat a badly written Unix application at any time. The efficiency of the algorithms used by the application will have a greater impact on its performance than Wine.

its because the implementation of directx is crap in cedega, better than plain wine though, which is virtually nil

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.