I've recently come by a 1999 model G3 which is great but I'm reduced to kindergarten by my total lack of basics.

Q1. How do I uninstall stuff, do I just send it to the trash?

Q2. I can't run or install any of my old windows programs, eg winamp. What can I do?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

You can send most program to the trash. If you need to do more than that the application will usually have an uninstalling app inside the folder.

As for windows things, there are Mac equivalents for most of those. If you don't want to purchase a bunch of new software you could get Virtual PC. VPC might be somewhat slow on an older iMac, though.

Good luck with your mac adventures; it's the greatest desicion you'll ever make.

Hello,

Mac programs are not compatable with windows programs. Their data files might be, but unless you install Virtual PC, or find a port of the application (such as office, open office), then the software will be useless.

There is a nice shareware version of MacAmp out there for ~$50 or so, and it does a lot of nice things that iTunes cannot.

Enjoy your Macintosh! There are a lot of great things to do with it.

Christian

I've recently come by a 1999 model G3 which is great but I'm reduced to kindergarten by my total lack of basics.

Q1. How do I uninstall stuff, do I just send it to the trash?

Q2. I can't run or install any of my old windows programs, eg winamp. What can I do?

A1. Yes, you uninstall programs by dragging them to the trash and from there, delete them.

A2. No, you cannot install your windows programs such as winamp on your Mac. You must install Mac programs on your Mac. You want to use iTunes on your Mac for listening to MP3's rather than Winamp. I don't know if Winamp has a Mac version, but I do know that iTunes is an excellent MP3 player. You can install that at the same time you install Quicktime, which is a free download from www.apple.com. I'm running Mac OSX 10.3.5 on a 1999 Powermac G3 Blue and White that I've Upgraded the CPU to a G4 500MHz, the Ram from 256mb to 768mb and an 80 GB serial ATA Hard drive and have never looked back. I run a PC too for the Windows programs I have an investment in that won't run on my Mac, but I love my Mac. It just works. Have fun. I am. :mrgreen:

Hello,

iTunes does work very well, but it is not as CPU efficient as MacAmp can be. I have a slower 333 Mhz Powerbook that is my main mac (yes, time to upgrade!) and I can tell a difference in performance playing music with MacAmp vs. iTunes.

Christian

i would like to add to the "deleting process". after deleting the application's folder (not the APPLICATION FOLDER), empty the trash. then do a "search" for the deleted software. there might be some preference files that may be stored somewhere.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.