Help! My MAC "Help" function doesn't function any more. A couple of days ago I went to "Mac Help" in the toolbar, clicked on it, and it opened and then closed immediately. This never happened before...but it's continuing every time I try it.

Is there some way to restore access? Hopefully something simple! HAve I somehow turned it off? Went to Apple's official site in search of a solution, but can't find anything in the huge amount of info there.

Thanks everybody...

:rolleyes: :confused:

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Help! My MAC "Help" function doesn't function any more. A couple of days ago I went to "Mac Help" in the toolbar, clicked on it, and it opened and then closed immediately. This never happened before...but it's continuing every time I try it.

Is there some way to restore access? Hopefully something simple! HAve I somehow turned it off? Went to Apple's official site in search of a solution, but can't find anything in the huge amount of info there.

Thanks everybody...

:sad: I've got exactly the same problem on my newly-arrived G5 i-Mac. If I can find a solution I'll let U know.

Thanks everybody...

O.K I've got the answer. 1. check that it is only happening in your own account by logging out and logging back in with a test account that you have to create. try getting the finder help up. It was o.k for me and didn't close again. This suggests a corruption in you preflist file for "help".Go back to your own account, then open the libraries folder within your home folder.Within the Library folder you will see a folder labelled"preferences". Open this & you will see it contains all of the pref files for the various APPS. They all start with "com.apple. & end with plist.drag the following to the Trash bin : helpviewer ; finder; help & helpui Then close finder. Reopen it and try your help again. Should now be o.k.Don't worry about the deletions because Panther will build a new plist file (minus the corruption)
Hope this helps. ; brenviar :cheesy:

Brenviar...when you dump the preferences you mentioned into the trash do you then empty the trash? ALso...how do you close the finder and then reopen it?? Sorry but I'm new to this and I'm having the same problem. Thanks

Doesn't matter whether U empty the trash. Try it without emptying 1st so that you still have the files should you need to restore them. Relaunch finder by using keys alt+apple+esc simultaneously. Gives "force quit" dialogue box. Highlight finder and click "relaunch". HTH.

My Mac Help on Tiger wont open their help content except its front page/ index, the other apps help info works fine. What should I do ? and how to clear the library list on Help viewer? Is there any corellation between the amount of Library list on Help viewer and Its failure to open the Mac Help info content? thanks

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.