For some reason, Excel won't allow me to paste into the find or replace dialog. This is more than a little inconvenient. Am I missing something? Has anyone seen this before? Is there a fix or workaround?

TIA!

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Hello,

The usual things apply: OS version, Office version. How are you trying to paste? Please let us know the exact steps.

Christian

Hello,

The usual things apply: OS version, Office version. How are you trying to paste? Please let us know the exact steps.

Christian

OS X 10.2.8
MS Excel X v10.0

After selecting Edit > Find (or cmd-f) or Edit > Replace, I cannot paste from the clipboard into the fields in the Find or Replace dialog, by either cmd-v or by Edit > Paste. In the case of Edit > Paste, the option to paste is not even available (i.e., it is "grayed out"). Thanks!

Hi,

What are the contents of the copy? What are you selecting when you hit cmd-c or cmd-v? What I am getting at is are you trying to copy a graphic into a text cell, or something strange like that.

I have also found out that in XL that you do not want to select "destination cells".

Christian

I realise this is an old, old thread, but the solution to it, and many others like it, is lose the mouse. Use keyboard shortcuts - CTRL - C to copy, CTRL - V to paste, instead.

I have the same problem. When I copy (cmd+c on a mac) information from a google sheet, and try to paste into the "find" box, the information is instead pasted into the sheet, not the "find" box that I just selected... So confusing, and kind of very annoying.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.