hello i just recently got a mac g3 with osx 10.1 and i have been having problems with download programs."mostly audio based music making and recording programs" and after the file is downloaded one of two things happens. it doesnt open and says something to the effect of program not responding. the other thing that happens is when i open up the folder the file is in and click on the icon to start the program it flasher like it is opening a program and does nothing else. usually i can click on other items contained in the folder and can open but not the actual program. any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. its probally something very basic, i dont know very much about computers and especially macs i pretty much just know the basics of how to run it if that. thanks again

---jason

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

it happened once again and when the program should have opened it said "the operation could not be completed an unexpected error has occured, error code 1012" once again any help at all would be greatly appreciated

Hello Jason,

OS X 10.1 was better than 10.0, but in many ways not ready for primetime. Certain video drivers were not ready for older machines, printing times were horiffic, and it was just not ready for the big day.

I would encourage you to backup any data you may have on that system, and then upgrade to 10.2 Let us know how much RAM you have and your hard disk size... you might need to increase RAM.

Not sure why your downloads are not working properly. Perhaps it is in your browser... 10.1 came with IE, and that could be corrupting your downloads.

In my opinion, when you receive a new computer, either right out of the box, or purchased / given second hand, it should be automatic to reformat the computer and install the OS yourself. There may be other problems with the prior installation, or perhaps private files from the previous owner that you should destroy (hey -- if these were cars, and the previous guy left his shoes in the trunk, you wouldn't drive around for weeks with his stuff, would you?)

Let us know.

Christian

try opening disk utilities and verify and repair permissions

hello i just recently got a mac g3 with osx 10.1 and i have been having problems with download programs."mostly audio based music making and recording programs" and after the file is downloaded one of two things happens. it doesnt open and says something to the effect of program not responding. the other thing that happens is when i open up the folder the file is in and click on the icon to start the program it flasher like it is opening a program and does nothing else. usually i can click on other items contained in the folder and can open but not the actual program. any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. its probally something very basic, i dont know very much about computers and especially macs i pretty much just know the basics of how to run it if that. thanks again

---jason

permission to write to /tmp/501/TemporaryItems/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate

I'm also having troubling upgrading Mac OSX even after I repaired permissions with disk utility, and I get the above error message. Any ideas?

Just remove that file via Terminal.

sudo rm /tmp/501/TemporaryItems/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate

Then re-run Software Updater.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.