I have been advised that relying on daily incremental backups ( I use SuperDuper) are dangerous because any corruption could set me back to the last full backup, whereas a full backup (daily) means I can never be more than a day wrong.

I would appreciate the panel's views, or a link to where this has been previously discussed

peter

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

You use time machine...

very nice and easy...

friends of mine use it and have neeeded it.. and it is very good!

I'm still on Tiger.

What does Time Machine do that is different to either a full or an incremental backup?

peter

Time Machine makes one full backup and then continually makes incremental backups to stay abreast. It is also, in my personal opinion, the worst piece of software apple has ever put out, as it has been nothing but a headache for me and my circle of mac user friends. But, that's one person's opinion.

yeah a few of my friends hate the fact that they have to hook up a external hard drive... and one of my friends was thinking of getting time capsule, but wasn't sure about it..... so yeah....

Otherwise i think it is good....

Time Machine makes one full backup and then continually makes incremental backups to stay abreast.

That is what I am doing with SuperDuper.
Why would Time Machine be an improvement?

The question remains:
If I do one full backup on monday, then increment each day till friday and crash, I lose a week's work
If I do a full backup each day and crash, I only lose a day's work.
I need to make a risk assessment on which way to go.

peter

I do not follow the "crash" portion.

If you make a full backup on Monday and incremental each day until Friday, you have all week.

If you do a full backup each day, you have a full week of full backups.

If the place you store your backups crashes, you are out of everything.

I do not follow "a crash on Friday loses a week of incremental backups"

> If you make a full backup on Monday and incremental each day until Friday, you have all
> week.

yes. And only one backup

> If you do a full backup each day, you have a full week of full backups.

yes

> If the place you store your backups crashes, you are out of everything.

yes. I am concerned here about data corruption during the backup, or a serious flaw in the source data for that day, not hardware failure

> I do not follow "a crash on Friday loses a week of incremental backups"

in my scenario (above), the latest backup will be flawed.

peter

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.