Hello.

I know this is probably trivial, but is a pain. As it has lost a lot of communication.
I have, unfortunately, 4 friends and acquaintances on aol. Have problems with all when using Mac mail. Most don't know how to use their aol. One that doesn't, is the one I have the issue with.
When she replies or forwards mail, I cannot reply to her. I must close mail and re-open it to do so. Then I get a blank reply page with no original message body from her. She is the only aoler that I have this particular problem with.

Apple can't figure it out. My ISP, Charter can't either. I can't ask AOL as I'm not a member (prisoner). I can reply to all the other aolers. My option has been to get her off AOL. But she is afraid, having recently come from webtv.

What could possibly cause this. I have gotten her to use myway.com, as I use it for one of my other email servers, and it works both ways, but I don't like it as much as mac mail.

Tried Thunderbird, but like it even less. Too many things don't show the way they should. And drag and drop doesn't work as far as I've seen. Only attachments seem to be allowed.

She has a low end Dell.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Danarchy
eMac 1ghz, 1MB ram, 10.3.7
eMac 700m, 640MB, 10.3.7

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Hello,

I am wondering if there is some sort of spam protection, or blacklist configuration, that is eating the emails reaching your friend. I think AOL offers that sort of service... and it could be the cause of the problem. You mentioned that you could reach other people on AOL... so we know that the DNS and other protocol features are working... unless you typed in your friend's account name wrong. Don't assume that a reply has the correct spelling.... people can make mistakes in that setup.

Christian

Hello,

I am wondering if there is some sort of spam protection, or blacklist configuration, that is eating the emails reaching your friend. I think AOL offers that sort of service... and it could be the cause of the problem. You mentioned that you could reach other people on AOL... so we know that the DNS and other protocol features are working... unless you typed in your friend's account name wrong. Don't assume that a reply has the correct spelling.... people can make mistakes in that setup.

Christian

Hello and thanks for the reply.

I don't understand how the two options could be, as I can send to her and reply by the method I mentioned. But my father (who uses Windows) had a similar problem with one AOL user. But not the others he knows. When I hit the reply button, it blinks and does nothing else on the current page. It obviously sets a reply page somewhere, since when I close mail and reopen it, the page (minus the subject and her body section) shows with only her address. I will double check the addresses.

I forgot to mention that she has a similar problem only with my sends. This started infrequently and then got to be constant.

Apparently, AOL does not allow their users to send the original that was sent to them. I never have gotten my original text to them, back to me. The person in question informed me that she has to copy and paste my originals for them to be included in her reply to me.

What an OS!

Thanks again.

Dan

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.