Most all of my music is ripped as Apple Lossless for archival purposes. But then due to iPod space, I re-rip as MP3.

I dearly want to sometimes make copies/backups of only the MP3 part. Of course, I could go into every single sub-folder and select only the MP3s, but that would be super tedious. (Please don't just say get a bigger backup drive and back up everything; one application is to SD or flash for playback in a car, and to a Rhapsody player in future, and from my Mac to a small-HD used Windows laptop I have).

What I really want to do is somehow copy all the relevant folders (say "White Stripes" or "iTunes Music" but have only the MP3s actually copy. I'm imagining via drag-and-drop, but could be some other way.

Or, somehow "burning" (actually exporting) my MP3 smart playlist...

Any ideas?

Contributors
Views
8 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by John A

Use a terminal command:

find /Users/someone/Music -iname '*.mp3' -exec cp '{}' somefolder \;

The command above will copy all files in /Users/someone/Music that end in .mp3 to the folder 'somefolder'. ("Automator" would also do the trick too, if you're more familiar with that.)

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.