hi ..
i have a network here with some os9 macs, 1 win notebook, 2 g4s with os x panther ... and a hp laserjet 4
my problem is: i can't find the network printer in os x.. i can load that apple talk window in the printerlist again and again but nothing happens...there haven't been any printing problems with one of the g4s until i installed os x a week ago so it can't be a hardware problem
i read all the things bout turning on apple talk in the sys preferences and directory services folders and then basically try it again and again but there has to be another solution ..well i hope ;) any suggestions?
greez

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

So does the Laserjet have the network card upgrade or is it connected through one of the macs by parallel or serial?

So does the Laserjet have the network card upgrade or is it connected through one of the macs by parallel or serial?

it hangs directly in the network and communicates only by apple talk

ok my problem solved...i tried hanging another printer to the network and it works flawlessly with it..apple talk found it immediately just like its supposed to work ;)... looks like os x has a specific problem with the HP laserjet 4

Hello Tronik,

Your HP printer is wired through the network, and the windows computers can see it. So I am assuming that it is on a Jet Direct card.

OS X can print to it via IP or via Appletalk. As you mentioned earlier that the printers worked before in OS 9, I assume that the needed Postscipt SIMM is also installed. Very good.

Try printing through IP. Give the printer an IP number, and then see if your OSX box can ping it. IF so, try to build the printer in the Print Control panel.

Christian

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.