Long story short, instead of having Fonts >> (actual font files) in System, I accidently now have Fonts >> "New Folder" >> (acutal font files) in System. I restarted, and now the desktop shows nothing, and the top title bar shows nothing... any idea how to fix this? Can you start a Mac in Safe Mode? Or in repair mode, or in a Dos-ish mode like you can Windows? Any help you could prove could possibly help me keep my job, and would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

RRhiannon99@yahoo.com

:-|

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

It's possible that you will have to reinstall the OS. But there's definitely stuff to try first.
1) can you out your Mac into firewire mode or boot from another source, such as a laptop?
2) You might be able to start up in Single User Mode (boot holding down Apple-S) and move the fonts back, but this requires that you not be UNIX/command-line shy..

I don't know if I'm right but this is what I'd try first to sort it.

"Disk utility" Verify permission and repair permissions or restore the "HD" using an image (name for a snap shot of your HD which will revert your system files back to the way they were the instant that was made). If you haven't made a image then another option might be to [click click cant' think} umm it's like a alternate Reformat of the HD instead of fully wiping every thing out you only reformat and reinstall the system files (no work documents) i think I'd look that up actually.

I also don't think a mac OS X has a safe mode you see its a direct representation of Terminal (like DOS which is a command line user interface) OS X is a graphical user interface (GUI) so you see what your doing, so a mac is straight to the point no bull but windows isn't Win try to hard to be user friendly that why it has safe mode and all that jazz

the best and safest way to sort it is to REFORMAT IT!! it suck an ya might lose your job so I'd suggest you say it has probably contracted a fatal error that had nothing to do with you..

what did you do any way ??? that kinda file should be locked to any one other than the admin...

good luck man

ummm any one else If im wrong could you please correct me... thanks

"Disk utility" Verify permission and repair permissions

Repairing permissions won't fix a font issue. The issue isn't incorrect permissions, it's that the fonts were moved from /System/Library/Fonts/ to a subdirectory that shouldn't exist. The simple fix would be to simply move the fonts back up on level to where they should be.

If you haven't made a image then another option might be to [click click cant' think} umm it's like a alternate Reformat of the HD instead of fully wiping every thing out you only reformat and reinstall the system files (no work documents) i think I'd look that up actually.

What you were trying to describe was a Archive & Install. Which would work, but is a bit extreme, IMO, where there's perfectly suitable alternatives to be tried first.

I also don't think a mac OS X has a safe mode you see its a direct representation of Terminal (like DOS which is a command line user interface) OS X is a graphical user interface (GUI) so you see what your doing, so a mac is straight to the point no bull but windows isn't Win try to hard to be user friendly that why it has safe mode and all that jazz

OS X does have a safe mode. If you boot holding down Shift, it will load only those kernel extensions that are needed. However, this has nothing to do with fonts, so won't help.

What you are describing there is Single User Mode. Where you boot directly into a root shell, bypassing the GUI (which is called Aqua, BTW, not "OS X")

it suck an ya might lose your job so I'd suggest you say it has probably contracted a fatal error that had nothing to do with you..

Finally, one should always take responsiblity for one's actions, not try to lie your way out of it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.