hey guys, i´m looking for a free antivirus software, i heard from virex, but i don´t know if it´s online only or if it´s paid.
if all of that is positive, wich one uo recommmed? ( a free one i mean ).

Recommended Answers

All 50 Replies

I have a mac version of Sophos Antivirus. This is technically an "evaluation version", but it works fine. It's not prominently displayed on the Sophos website, so you have to do some digging, and they require you to register before allowing you to download. Then the tricky part is figuring out where to get their virus definitions, and where to install them on your hard drive. The initial setup is not really user-friendly.

Now ... some smart-mouth is probably wondering ... how would i know if it's working ... Mac OS X is not susceptable to even one virus.

Let me tell you friend ... this Sophos Antivirus for Mac will snag the Windows virus-infected files on your Mac, before you can pass them on to poor uninformed Windows users. Of course you must have the proper definition files installed. I can't speak to Micro$oft Word macro viruses, which are very different creatures ....

hey guys.
yup i found that the bloody virex, wasn´t free.
but at version tracker there´s a cool one, called VIRUS BARRIER, i certainly looks good, and i registered it, and runs well.

And virus definitions are not hard to found, like ol´good times with norton updates, you have to download them on a two month basis.

Check out ClamXav the Macintosh version of the popular opensource ClamAV. http://www.markallan.co.uk/clamXav/

It may not have all the bells and whistles of a full app but it does seem to be stable on 10.4.7 and has many useful features.

Just out of curosity, are you scanning for something particular on your mac? or is this just need to be prepared?

I just know that ClamXav is the worst antivirus for mac. yesterday I was trying to install it, it caused so much problem to my computer and me, like it's not user friendly, not good Interface, no clear instruction on how to run, once installed you cannot change the destination folder, it won't let you do that, so much problems in uninstalling, when you try to drag and drop it in other folders, it just creates shortcuts. Finally I have to remove all those files related to it after 15 minutes of installing it. Its the worst program I ever faced.

Why!!!!

It is now 2009 and no Viruses yet. Clamx is a free software, so do not expect it to be a "one push" and it takes out the garbage to!
You want one just to make sure, try virusbarrierx5. Not intrusive and does not seem to put a drain on the system.

Check out ClamXav the Macintosh version of the popular opensource ClamAV. http://www.markallan.co.uk/clamXav/

It may not have all the bells and whistles of a full app but it does seem to be stable on 10.4.7 and has many useful features.

I find that CLAMX AV works very well. I second the nomination for ClamX AV.

Clam isnt very good. It lacks real time scanning and its virus definitions are limited

Frankly the best antivirus is common sense

You should try AppZapper for an uninstaller.

I am sorry you had problems with ClamAv, I however did not, and I had no problems with the first time run once I installed it.

The GUI isn't very spectacular, but it is free, and it does work, because I have had it find "viruses" in downloaded email messages. GRANTED, they are not "Mac" Viruses. They are usually old PC-based viruses. But, just like a cold, your Mac can be a carrier for the viruses and spread them around. :)

I hope you find an app that you like for your needs.

Is it just me or are there others out there that don't have any AV software on their Macs I have it on my Window volume but nothing on my Mac HD. I read about the December advisory from Apple about installing AV software but dismissed it.

I wonder if I'm skating on thin ice all by myself. Could there be a collusion between the AV software companies and Apple? I DID notice they recommended 3 products. Could this be like a cabal, like the one that some claim exist between the oil and American auto industry.

Anyway, I digress. Since the almost 3 years that I've had my Mac, I've had NO OS or web issues that I can attribute to viruses.

The AV is mainly to stop you transferring windows viruses to others. Thats the main use of clamAV in fact, on ISPs linux/unix based mailservers.

I guess there's no best or perfect antivirus.I'm just relying on how it will fit my needs and protect my computer everyday.

unless you got a network with both pc and macs you don't need no antivirus at all

the only known viruses on mac are unable to do anything unless you type your password , don't do it unless you're sure it's safe and you won't need any extra software

unless you got a network with both pc and macs you don't need no antivirus at all

the only known viruses on mac are unable to do anything unless you type your password , don't do it unless you're sure it's safe and you won't need any extra software

That's what I thought. Thanks. I only have Apple Macs on my network. For my work laptop, I use a broadband mobile card. Though this laptop is rarely used on the Internet.

A worm has infected my pendrive and it has affected my pc but not the macbook yet. I've haven't any AV so have I to be worried because of it? What do you recommend me to do? Shall I try with Virusbarrierx5 or...? All comments will be helpful.

Suddenly, I had a screaming message announcing loads of trojans on my computer. I downloaded the ClamAV but it did not detect anything! ClamAV is certainly not user-friendly, but what you want for free? I could use some where-do-I-go-now input...

Give iAntiVirus a shot. It's free and so far its worked ok. In that I mean it hasn't shown any signs of slowing down the OS, nor have I had a virus on any Mac. Of course I only once had a worm on a Mac and that was back in the OS 7 or 8 days. So long I can't even tell you what it did.

http://www.iantivirus.com/

I've been told by a contact at BitDefender they are bringing out a mac version of thier windows based AV. I've got both pc and mac machines, work and home so going to investigate that once it's arrived on the shelves. Works a treat on pc.

hey guys, i´m looking for a free antivirus software, i heard from virex, but i don´t know if it´s online only or if it´s paid.
if all of that is positive, wich one uo recommmed? ( a free one i mean ).

This goes out to all Mac users.
Surfing the net I have seen at lot of Mac users asking about free antivirus. I'm sorry to tell you that the only free antivirus left is ClamXav. A lot of people seem to have problems with that application.
Instead of writing about the lack of free antivirus in forums, I suggest you write to those who can do something about it.
If you are a Windows or Linux user Avast provides free antivirus, but if you are a Mac user you have to pay. Don't you find that just a little bit discriminating?
I'm not a Mac user myself (I use windows and Linux Ubuntu), but still I find this totally unfair. So I decided to write to Avast to ask for an explanation. The answer I received was an explanation of why they provide free antivirus for Windows and Linux, but not a word about why they don't provide it for Mac. In my opinion that is not an answer.
I suggest you all write to Avast, and ask them why they don't treat users of different operating systems equally. Perhaps you can get a better answer, and maybe it will make them realize that this is unfair and bad for their image.

This goes out to all Mac users.
Surfing the net I have seen at lot of Mac users asking about free antivirus. I'm sorry to tell you that the only free antivirus left is ClamXav. A lot of people seem to have problems with that application.
Instead of writing about the lack of free antivirus in forums, I suggest you write to those who can do something about it.
If you are a Windows or Linux user Avast provides free antivirus, but if you are a Mac user you have to pay. Don't you find that just a little bit discriminating?
I'm not a Mac user myself (I use windows and Linux Ubuntu), but still I find this totally unfair. So I decided to write to Avast to ask for an explanation. The answer I received was an explanation of why they provide free antivirus for Windows and Linux, but not a word about why they don't provide it for Mac. In my opinion that is not an answer.
I suggest you all write to Avast, and ask them why they don't treat users of different operating systems equally. Perhaps you can get a better answer, and maybe it will make them realize that this is unfair and bad for their image.

Hello again.
I received another answer from Avast today. They write that they agree on my arguments, and they will consider making a free version the next time they prepare a new version of the Mac edition. That is a much better answer.
I will still suggest that all of you write to them (in a polite way of course), so they can see there is an interest for this.

ClamXav... just downloaded it recently myself. It is free, but it is also kinda crappy. You have to select each folder from the Macintosh HD to scan sepperatly. It does show you how much progress its made, which is nice. mmm... It didnt find any viruses on mine, so im not sure how good the removal tool is.

i antivirus is a good one

I cannot delete a virus on my mac with clamax so it is the worst anti virus try iAnti Virus or mac scan

but frist make sure u do not download any torrent files from any torrent net. it's legal and full of virus looking for people to download so do not go on torrent sites.

make sure you have a fire wall on

step 1 upgrade your computer and ur virus scanner.
step2 make sure you have a password.
step 3 make sure your antivirus is on at all time.
step 4 make sure ur a fire wall on.

everyone listen to quentine she right that the only way you get virus and if

but make sure u have a anti virus installed for protection

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.