I'm having an AWFUL time trying to rid my mac of a faulty Windows Media file. I have tried deleting it by putting it in the trash but that doesn't work because it is supposedly 'locked' (whatever that means!). When I do try and open the file I get; 'The application WindowsMediaPlayer has unexpectedly quit' The System and other applications have not been affected. Would you like to submit a bug report to Apple? - Yeah I know what I'd like to submit to Apple :mad:

I have downloaded a newer version of Windows Media which is working fine. However the older version has overridden it so to speak. My Windows Media Files no longer open for instance even though I have a installed a healthy Windows Media Player. As I'm a new user with mac it would be generous if someone could find it in their heart to help me with this problem by explaining in PLAIN ENGLISH. I'm not clued up with that computer gibbirish just yet. If I'm not helped I might just wallow in despair for eternity. Poor me, my happiness lay in your hands.

Recommended Answers

All 33 Replies

To delete the problem file: Empty the trash while holding down the Option key.

To fix WMP, delete the file com.microsoft.mediaplayer.plist.

To find it, open your home directory (the one with the little house on it in the Users folder). Go to Library. Go to Preferences. Trash the file called "com.microsoft.mediaplayer.plist".

Try starting WMP. Does it work now?

To delete the problem file: Empty the trash while holding down the Option key.

Thanks for the kind words. I tried that but I still get the message 'The operation cannot be completed because the item wmphelp.htm is locked'.

To fix WMP, delete the file com.microsoft.mediaplayer.plist.

To find it, open your home directory (the one with the little house on it in the Users folder). Go to Library. Go to Preferences. Trash the file called "com.microsoft.mediaplayer.plist".

Try starting WMP. Does it work now?

Unfortunetly none of the other files in my trash are deleted due to the annoying refusal of deletion from the faulty Windows Media file.

Just to make sure..

You held down the Option button before choosing "Empty Trash" from the Finder pull-down menu, and kept holding it until the trash was emptied (or not emptied)?

Just to make sure..

You held down the Option button before choosing "Empty Trash" from the Finder pull-down menu, and kept holding it until the trash was emptied (or not emptied)?

Yes I held down the options key but I get the same message about the file being 'locked' :rolleyes: No idea why that is. Is there some other way I can delete the file?

Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal, type in:

sudo rm

(Note, there's a space after "rm"), now drag the WM file into the Terminal window, it should automatically complete the path to the file. Now hit Return and type in your admin password.

The file should be gone from your Trash.

Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal, type in:

sudo rm

(Note, there's a space after "rm"), now drag the WM file into the Terminal window, it should automatically complete the path to the file. Now hit Return and type in your admin password.

The file should be gone from your Trash.

I tried that and got 'sudo: rm/Users/jaspreetkaurshokar/.Trash/Windows Media Player.app: command not found' aaaargh!

I tried that and got 'sudo: rm/Users/jaspreetkaurshokar/.Trash/Windows Media Player.app: command not found' aaaargh!

I'll tell you why..

(Note, there's a space after "rm")

As in, press the space bar after typing in rm and before dragging the file to the Terminal window.

I'll tell you why..

As in, press the space bar after typing in rm and before dragging the file to the Terminal window.

I did as you said and I got 'rm: /Users/jaspreetkaurshokar/.Trash/Windows Media Player.app: is a directory Jaspreet-Kaur-Shokars-Computer:'

So it's clearly not working this 'terminal' business... how awful :sad: Is there an add/remove programme on Mac? I can't seem to find one?

No, there is no add/remove program on the Mac.

OK, we try again (we're getting there)..

sudo rm -rf /Users/jaspreetkaurshokar/.Trash/Windows Media Player.app

No, there is no add/remove program on the Mac.

OK, we try again (we're getting there)..

What am I meant to be trying again exactly?
:D

You should be trying this, now.. note that the addition of the -rf flags will remove the application bundle (which is a directory). Please note that it is:

sudo<space>rm<space>-rf<space>/Users/jaspreetkaurshokar/.Trash/Windows Media Player.app

Then press Return. Enter your admin password.

You should be trying this, now.. note that the addition of the -rf flags will remove the application bundle (which is a directory). Please note that it is:

sudo<space>rm<space>-rf<space>/Users/jaspreetkaurshokar/.Trash/Windows Media Player.app

Then press Return. Enter your admin password.

Thanks for your patience. However it's still not working. I typed everything as you said. The plot thickens...

Just copy and paste this:

If it fails, I need to know exactly what it said..

Just copy and paste this:

If it fails, I need to know exactly what it said..

Nothing exciting. Just 'Jaspreet-Kaur-Shokars-Computer:~ jaspreetkaurshokar$'

Then the file is gone. Check the Trash and see if it's still there.

Then the file is gone. Check the Trash and see if it's still there.

No it hasn't. The file is still in the Trash. Doesn't seem to wanna budge :eek:

Please post the results of:

ls -lao ~/.Trash

Jaspreet-Kaur-Shokars-Computer:~ jaspreetkaurshokar$ ls -lao ~/.Trash
total 141720
drwx------ 30 jaspreet jaspreet - 1020 29 May 12:59 .
drwxr-xr-x 19 jaspreet jaspreet - 646 17 May 17:30 ..
-rw------- 1 jaspreet jaspreet - 12292 22 May 23:44 .DS_Store
-rw-r--r-- 1 jaspreet jaspreet - 5752432 10 May 09:00 01 The Age Of Pamparius.mp3
-rw-r--r-- 1 jaspreet jaspreet - 5815102 23 Mar 16:28 02 Eastern Eyes.mp3
-rw-r--r-- 1 jaspreet jaspreet - 3484041 22 May 13:19 02 Running Behind.m4a
-rw-r--r-- 1 jaspreet jaspreet - 2417647 21 May 14:55 06 Will.mp3
-rw-r--r-- 1 jaspreet jaspreet - 4492694 22 May 13:34 10 A Letter To Elise.m4a
-rw-r--r-- 1 jaspreet jaspreet - 5347944 10 Apr 21:34 11 Englishman In New York.mp3
-rw-r--r-- 1 jaspreet jaspreet - 4643655 9 Mar 18:35 12 Track 12.mp3
-rw-r--r-- 1 jaspreet jaspreet - 3601207 24 May 13:38 Alice In Chains - Dirt - 01 - Them Bones.mp3
-rw-r--r-- 1 jaspreet jaspreet - 5468126 9 Apr 03:13 Babylon Zoo - Spaceman.mp3
-rw-r--r-- 1 jaspreet jaspreet - 1298720 6 May 02:41 Black Rabbit.mp3
-rw-r--r-- 1 jaspreet jaspreet - 3049636 13 May 19:21 Blood Red Summer.mp3.mp3
-rw-r--r-- 1 jaspreet jaspreet - 2141006 6 May 02:39 I got erection.mp.mp3
-rw-r--r-- 1 jaspreet jaspreet - 4892298 20 Apr 15:37 Numb Encore.mp3
-rw-r--r-- 1 jaspreet jaspreet - 136948 29 May 01:40 Osaka waterfall 2.jpg
-rw-r--r-- 1 jaspreet jaspreet - 402784 29 May 01:18 P1010209.JPG
-rw-r--r-- 1 jaspreet jaspreet - 81779 29 May 01:46 Silly frog.jpg
-rw-r--r-- 1 jaspreet jaspreet - 5751664 6 May 02:40 The Age Of Pamparius.mp3
-rw-r--r-- 1 jaspreet jaspreet - 3978376 8 May 21:02 Today and Tomorrow.mp3
-rw-r--r-- 1 jaspreet jaspreet - 2087296 6 May 02:40 Turbo Negro - Don't Say Motherfucker, Motherfucker.mp3
drwxrwxrwx 3 jaspreet jaspreet - 102 28 Apr 18:54 Windows Media Player.app
-rw-r--r-- 1 jaspreet jaspreet - 4041171 22 May 15:34 _Rapt Dept.mp3
-rw------- 1 jaspreet jaspreet - 285 19 Mar 15:12 com.microsoft.mediaplayer.plist
-rw-r--r-- 1 jaspreet jaspreet - 5563 14 May 21:03 imageDB.cgi
-rw-r--r-- 1 jaspreet jaspreet - 215244 19 May 15:09 message5.txt
-rw-r--r-- 1 jaspreet jaspreet - 371003 11 May 12:51 newsletter.pdf
-rw-r--r-- 1 jaspreet jaspreet - 2950083 6 May 02:39 turbo negro hates the kids.mp3
-rw-r--r-- 1 jaspreet jaspreet - 64700 31 Mar 11:07 webmap.pdf
Jaspreet-Kaur-Shokars-Computer:~ jaspreetkaurshokar$

drwxrwxrwx 3 jaspreet jaspreet - 102 28 Apr 18:54 Windows Media Player.app

There's no reason that you cannot get rid of that file. And the earlier stuff I gave you should have done it. Have you tried doing a "Secure Empty Trash"?

There's no reason that you cannot get rid of that file. And the earlier stuff I gave you should have done it.

Everything you have told me to do so far hasn't worked.

Have you tried doing a "Secure Empty Trash"?

I don't know what that is.

Finder -> Finder pull-down menu -> Secure Empty Trash

Finder -> Finder pull-down menu -> Secure Empty Trash

Emptying the trash...

"this operation cannot be completed because the item 'htm' is in use"

What's HTM??

In your case, I don't know. Typically, a foo.htm file is an html file from a webpage. Please restart your computer. Nothing will be running from your trash after that. Then do a secure erase.

In your case, I don't know. Typically, a foo.htm file is an html file from a webpage. Please restart your computer. Nothing will be running from your trash after that. Then do a secure erase.

I just tried that I get the same message about the htm being in use. Do you have a mac os x by the way??

Do you have a mac os x by the way??

What do you think?

What do you think?

I love the sarcasm.

Well the only reason I'm asking is because everything you've suggested so far has not worked.

Well, there's lots more things to try. I can assure you, if I had access to your computer, I could remove the file. However, it's not always easy to explain things to people via a forum. I suppose if you don't like the free help you're getting, you could always look elsewhere. There's quote a few Mac forums out there.

I guess the app bundle has an immutable flag set on something in it's contents. This is NOT normal. Something (or someone) had to have set it that way. Please note that haveing a file being run from the Trash is also NOT normal. Has your Mac been compromised?

Anyway,

sudo chflags -R nouchg ~/.Trashes

Will remove any immutable flags set on anything in your trash. You should then be able to remove it after a restart. If you still get some crap about HTM, you should be looking for HTM in your trash and finding out what is referencing it and why.

Well, there's lots more things to try. I can assure you, if I had access to your computer, I could remove the file. However, it's not always easy to explain things to people via a forum. I suppose if you don't like the free help you're getting, you could always look elsewhere. There's quote a few Mac forums out there.

I guess the app bundle has an immutable flag set on something in it's contents. This is NOT normal. Something (or someone) had to have set it that way. Please note that haveing a file being run from the Trash is also NOT normal. Has your Mac been compromised?

No it hasn't been compromised. There are not immutable flags which have been set. It's clear to me you don't know the solution to the problem. We've been discussing it for over a week now and I haven't gotten any closer to finding an answer. I do appreciate your help but it hasn't gotten me anywhere so I think I should ask some other people for help. Thanks for your patience and sarcasm.

sudo chflags -R nouchg ~/.Trashes

"No such file or directory"

"No such file or directory"

That's my fault becuase it's .Trash, not .Trashes.

While it pains my ego, I won't bother worrying about it. I suspect that you will find that the answer has already been supplied. But anyway, good luck getting your answer!

Might I suggest someplace like:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.