Can anyone confirm that 9.0 would share files on the desktop, but that in 9.1 a file must be in a shared volume before it can be shared? Also, it appears that in 9.1 it is not possible to chance the name of the internal disk drive from "Macintosh HD".

Any knowledge shared would be appreciated!
Rod

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Also, it appears that in 9.1 it is not possible to chance the name of the internal disk drive from "Macintosh HD".

It's possible in any version of Mac OS, but you have to turn of File Sharing first before you can change it's name.

AFAIRemember, sharing in 9.04 was the same as in 9.1. But it's been a very long time since I've used either.

Hello,

On your "Macintosh HD", there is a hidden folder called "desktop folder" that you will be able to see when you attach remotely to the computer. Look for the desktop files there.

Yes, you need to use the File Sharing control panel to shut it off before you can change the volume name.

Christian

On your "Macintosh HD", there is a hidden folder called "desktop folder" that you will be able to see when you attach remotely to the computer. Look for the desktop files there.

Is there a way to turn on hidden folders? I don't see the desktop folder, just the other folders (system folder, applications, etc) on the disk.

Rod

Hello --

Hidden folders. I think there is within ResEdit, or another editor that edits the disk properties, but it has been such a long while, that I am out of shape on where to go with it. Because you are working with the OS System, I would hesitate to modify it too much, as you could cause a problem. I seem to remember file utilities that would show the hidden folders within the window. It has been too long though.

Christian

Thanks Yellow & Christian. I got the disk names changed OK. I have given up on trying to share files on the desktop and just put them into a shared folder within the disk's window. I have no idea why I didn't have to do that in 9.0. (Please don't ask why I upgraded from 9.0 to 9.1 rather than 9.2 or X!)

Rod

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.