Hi, I am running an ibook g4 and i have recently purchased a DI-624 dlink router. My sister has a computer identical to mine, however she is able to connect to the internet no problem. I checked my connections and compared them to hers but yet i still cannot connect to the internet. I see the computer connected to the router(4 bars in the airport bar) but when i type in a site or try and connect to MSN messenger it does not work. Anybody??

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Did you get an IP address from it? Did you use WEP or some other version of exncryption?

Try going to: http://17.254.0.91

Can you get there? If so, you're just missing DNS entries in your Network prefpane set up. ONce you put in the DNS servers for your ISP, you should be all set.

when i tried to go to that site it timed out...we are using a password on the router...i dont know what else i can try?

if i get the DNS entries will that change anything?? it thinks when i type in that site but then times out...does the lpv6 address have any effect?

alright here i really need help with this so here is some more information which may give you more to help me with...looking at my sisters computer i went into system profiler>network>airport and it shows these

interface
type
ip address
subnet mask
broadcast address
router address
dns servers
domain
ethernet address

however in mine all i see is

interface
type
ip address
subnet mask
broadcast address
ethernet address

from what i know she has not changed anything significantly in her network options. Ive fiddled around with ips and dns servers etc trying to get this to work but nothing yet

comparing the two the ips are almost completely different and the only commonality is the subnet mask...the ethernet address differs in the last 4

PLEASE HELP :)

Whoa, slow down. Too much info all at once.

If you're getting a 169.x.x.x IP address on your Mac (I'm guessing this is so, since you said the IP addresses are very different), then this means that your Mac is not getting an IP address at all from the router and it's giving itself an address (169.x.x.x is a "self-assigned" IP address).

Is this the case?

You should start over by telling us what Mac you have and what version of the OS too.

Whoa, slow down. Too much info all at once.

If you're getting a 169.x.x.x IP address on your Mac (I'm guessing this is so, since you said the IP addresses are very different), then this means that your Mac is not getting an IP address at all from the router and it's giving itself an address (169.x.x.x is a "self-assigned" IP address).

Is this the case?

You should start over by telling us what Mac you have and what version of the OS too.

yep this is the case...my mac is an ibook g4 running mac os x Version 10.3.6

thanks a mil for the help...

Make sure the firewall is off on the iBook. When you connect to the wifi connection, I assume you're asked for a password (you indicated earlier that it had a WEP password), are you entering the password correctly? Most likely it has to be the hex version of the password, and not the ASCII version. Is your sister's computer a laptop too? Is it a Mac?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.