hello,

first post so take it easy on me if there's a very obvious solution.

i'm trying to find some very simple software to record audio from my dv camcorder via a firewire port. i want to record as a .wav or .aiff file and don't need to record the video.

i have been using imovie but you can oly recoird in 10 minute chunks and digitising the video seems like a waste.

i'm using a mac (OSX 10.3.9)

i just want something very simple as all i need to to is load the sound files into the express scribe dictation software so i can transcribe interviews.

any suggestions much appreciated,

lizzie

Contributors
Replies
Views
12 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by CEDickson

Hello Lizzie,

Welcome to DaniWeb.

I use a program called Amadeous II that was developed by hairerSoft.com It is shareware, and I think it cost $40 or so. But what it allows me to do is input audio from the microphone, or from the mic jacks in the back of the computer. I do not have a USB / Firewire camera to test things on, so I am not sure Amadeous will work strictly with that interface.

BUT, if y ou have an audio out on your camera, you might be able to:

* Wire the output jack of the camera to the mic in jack on the computer
* tell your software to record
* tell your camera to play
* walk away

You may need to adjust your input levels on the computer, so that you do not over-drive the software. Amadeous will allow you to do that.

I realize this might not be the "firewire-only" solution, but it should get the job done for you.

BTW, is it possible to shut OFF the video feed using iMovie? I remember using Adobe Premiere, and I could kill the video feed, so that only audio was captured and processed.

Christian

hi and thanks for replying,

thing is i am using a new HDV camera and down converting to Standard DV so i really need to be able to use the firwire port (the camera doesn't have separate component outs.

i'll check out the software though and see if i get anywhere.
thanks

lizzie

Hello Lizzie,

Welcome to DaniWeb.

I use a program called Amadeous II that was developed by hairerSoft.com It is shareware, and I think it cost $40 or so. But what it allows me to do is input audio from the microphone, or from the mic jacks in the back of the computer. I do not have a USB / Firewire camera to test things on, so I am not sure Amadeous will work strictly with that interface.

BUT, if y ou have an audio out on your camera, you might be able to:

* Wire the output jack of the camera to the mic in jack on the computer
* tell your software to record
* tell your camera to play
* walk away

You may need to adjust your input levels on the computer, so that you do not over-drive the software. Amadeous will allow you to do that.

I realize this might not be the "firewire-only" solution, but it should get the job done for you.

BTW, is it possible to shut OFF the video feed using iMovie? I remember using Adobe Premiere, and I could kill the video feed, so that only audio was captured and processed.

Christian

i have been using imovie but you can oly recoird in 10 minute chunks and digitising the video seems like a waste.

I'm a bit confused by your 10 minute comment. I use imovie to record hours of video at a time. If you need the output file as a single file and the .mov file won't work, you can extract the audio and export the file in a number of format.

With QT Pro you can open the imovie file and export it in many more formats.

Hope this helps.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.