I dont know if i have leopard mac os x.. but it shows i have Mac OS X version 10.5.8.. i have a simple issue. i am trying to download Xcode for GCC complier... but it doesn't get downloaded as it requires me to update my software to 10.6.1.. i have been looking to update. but it doesnt update to 10.6.1. how do i do it? should i download Mac OS X combo 10.6.4?

I believe i have Mac OS X (13 inch late 2007) :-/

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Member Avatar for coil

If you have 10.5.8, then you have Leopard. Anything starting with 10.6 is Snow Leopard, which is a newer version of the Mac OS. The problem you're having is the XCode software is designed to run only on Snow Leopard, and does not support Leopard.

Therefore, your options are:

1. Buy Snow Leopard and install it. If you really need the latest version of XCode, this is your only choice.

2. Use the version of XCode on your install disc. If you still have the discs that came with your computer, on one of them should be XCode. This version of XCode will not be the newest, but it will (probably) work on your computer.

3. If you lost your discs, try downloading older versions of XCode, or check the system requirements to make sure the version you're downloading actually runs on Leopard.

commented: To the point solid information. +7

Thanks for your reply.

But when i try to download xcode from apple website, it forces me to buy Snow Leopard for 30$. Is there is any way i could download the old xcode. I misplaced the cd i m sure.

My main motive is to download GCC compiler for c programming.

Member Avatar for coil

Try this link (goes to a download page for XCode 3.1.3, which should work): https://connect.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MemberSite.woa/wa/getSoftware?bundleID=20414

Alternatively, if you login to Apple Developer, go to the Developer Downloads section, and on the right sidebar select Developer Tools, you'll come to a page with lots of different downloads. Search "Xcode 3.1" or whatever version you need and you should find download links.

Hope that helps!

thanks... working on that.. lets see...

Member Avatar for coil

Does it work?

i have downloaded .. the files are on my computer... i even installed GCC and Java SDK on desktop.. but i don't know how to open it.. i went through so many forums but cant find...

i know how to use c compiler on windows, its so easy...

u compile , and debug in one compiler.. but i think this seems very complex..

if you could help me finding the compiler and run it on my computer that will be helpful...

Member Avatar for coil

OK, if you've downloaded Xcode, go ahead and install it. Then, open up Xcode and do the following:

1. Go to File>New Project.
2. In the left sidebar of the dialog box, click Command Line Utility.
3. In the main window of the dialog box, select C++ Tool.

This creates a C++ project.

First that creates: C++ project.
How can i create C project?

//saving as testing.c on desktop ..
// Creating C program 
#include<stdio.h>
int main(void)
{
int x=2;
printf("X=%d",x);
    return 0;
}

Building target “PracticeC” of project “PracticeC” with configuration “Debug” — (1 error)
        cd /Users/moneysingh/Desktop/PracticeC
    setenv MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET 10.5
    /Developer/usr/bin/g++-4.0 -arch i386 -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.5.sdk -L/Users/moneysingh/Desktop/PracticeC/build/Debug -F/Users/moneysingh/Desktop/PracticeC/build/Debug -filelist /Users/moneysingh/Desktop/PracticeC/build/PracticeC.build/Debug/PracticeC.build/Objects-normal/i386/PracticeC.LinkFileList -mmacosx-version-min=10.5 -o /Users/moneysingh/Desktop/PracticeC/build/Debug/PracticeC
ld: duplicate symbol _main in /Users/moneysingh/Desktop/PracticeC/build/PracticeC.build/Debug/PracticeC.build/Objects-normal/i386/testing.o and /Users/moneysingh/Desktop/PracticeC/build/PracticeC.build/Debug/PracticeC.build/Objects-normal/i386/main.o
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
        ld: duplicate symbol _main in /Users/moneysingh/Desktop/PracticeC/build/PracticeC.build/Debug/PracticeC.build/Objects-normal/i386/testing.o and /Users/moneysingh/Desktop/PracticeC/build/PracticeC.build/Debug/PracticeC.build/Objects-normal/i386/main.o
        collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
Build failed (1 error)
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.