Please help. All of a sudden, I'm not able to print to any of my postscript printers. It's not the printers or network , because I can print from another networked computer.

I have tried permission fixing and even archive and install OSX again. I'm using OSX3.5 and I was at X3.9 but went backwards when I restored my software. I can see all my printers in the Printersetup window, but when it goes to communicate with it to setup installable options, etc... it gets an error. "Unable to communicate with the printer..." "client-error-not-found". It all started when I was getting "error while printing" messages while trying to print from ANY app.

I like OSX, but never had anything similar to this in any OS9s.

Thanks,
Bob

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Hello,

Are these printers accessed via a network, or are they directly connected via USB / Firewire? I am wondering if something changed on your network connection which could cause the problem.

Christian

Hello,

Are these printers accessed via a network, or are they directly connected via USB / Firewire? I am wondering if something changed on your network connection which could cause the problem.

Christian

Hi. Thanks for your reply. I've accessed the printers via network. They're connected via ethernet. I don't believe that I changed anything on my network, but that doesn't mean that something hasn't changed...I guess.

Thanks,
Bob

Hello Bob,

I am not sure what happened either. I have not see what you are experiencing, so cannot relate. You might need to go back to the manufacturers of the printers, and re-download their drivers. I would also open the Disk Utility, and repair the permissions, and see if that does it for you.

You can also try to make a new account under OS X, and see if printing works for you there. If that is the case, then there is something messed up in your personal profile.

Take care, and hope all is well.

Christian

i'm having a hard time using an HP PHotosmart and my G4 powerbook. is it possible that software is incompatible? i'm unable to add it to my system's list of printers, but when i disconnect the printer, the G4 alerts me that the Photosmart 7350 has been disconnected. why doesn't everything just work together?

Have you tried to repair permissons? HP installers are notorious for leaving permissions dangling in worthless places that render their software unusable..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.