I've only been on OS X for 2 days! So I am pretty new.

Basically when I plugged in my Targus USB mouse it popped up that I was replacing the keyboard, it said if I wasn't then just to ignore the message and carry on, so I crossed it but my mouse isn't been detected by my Macbook Pro.

The red light on my mouse is on so it has power but I can't see anywhere where I can set it up, all I'm thinking is that I need a Mac specific mouse? I got this mouse with my Vista laptop but I assumed it would plug in and work on OS X?

Recommended Answers

All 42 Replies

Basically my mouse isn't having any movement effect at all and I don't know why?

Just try to restart your pc still mouse is not detected and go to the start and in the run type msconfig and press enter and then enter into the services and see that HID is running or not.If not then go in tools and select the option Computer Management and hit launch.This might would be work out for you.....

That's an odd one. Usually macs just 'plug and play' most of the devices, and it shouldn't have any issues with a mouse.

I'd first check to see if it works with your Vista laptop, and if it doesn't it's a hardware issue. If not, it may be OS related. Try repairing permissions (in Applications->Utilities->Disk Utility) on your drive as that solves most problems.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having troubles with your new mac. Hopefully this'll help!

Guys Please dont comment in your personal think and thoughts with out read and understand question asked here!!!!
Problem is in MAC OS not In any PCx86 and Windows.
IAm also facing the same issue,If any one know about it say the possible causes (Dont ask Mouse is connected and working in Windows) and the ways to fix the problem in MAC OSX

Support will be highly appriciated

Actually try downloading a developer tool called USB Prober and check to see if the mouse is actually being detected on that usb port.

http://developer.apple.com/hardwaredrivers/download/usbdebug.html

if it is then there may be a driver issue in the kernel, check to see if that vendor has a driver for that product on mac. If you are lucky they might be using a standard USB interface chip, from FTDI here: http://www.ftdichip.com/ or Prolific here: http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/download.asp

Those options are your best chance if the hardware works and the system does not integrate with it.

You could also be using an under voltage USB port so try another port.

Could you post details about the product you are connecting I could help a little more if I knew the brand and model.

Hi blackbox

you may want to go to system preferences and then select mouse. do this only when you plug in your mouse and see if you can change the settings to allow your mouse to move. if there are any problem contact me

If your problem is solved can you please mark the thread as solved. You can do that by going to the bottom. Thanks, i appreciate it.

Hello, I'm having the same problem using Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3.
The system preferences detect that the mouse is plugged. I've tried with two different devices, and both worked on other pc. A microsoft mouse worked for 2 days on the same mac. Can anybody help?

emanuelcds have you tried doing what I described in the post above?

USB Prober will tell you a lot about the devices connected to your computer. With that information I could assist you a little better. What make and model# is the mouse? Are you using it through and adapter for example PS/2 to USB?

I have a strange issue that seems related - a USB mouse only works when usbprober is running. The mouse is detected (hardware growler reports the connection) and is powered, but it only works when usbprober is running. I wonder whether it is a permissions problem but have tried repair permissions and it hasn't fixed the problem. Any ideas?

james

Have you tried running disk utility from your OSX install disk?

What brand of mouse and model? What data is USB prober listing?

If you run console can you see any errors reported by the mouse or any other program running?

I have one, still somehow it didnt appear.
I downloaded the one for os x 10.7.2 and ran it. below are the last lines of the log - below. The mouse is detected (confirmed by the infrared light and the fact that when I plug it and go System Preferences/Mouse I see the Settings) but the pointer still does not move and the mouse cannot click

Hub (HubDevice) @ 0xfd100000 with 2 ports
Port 1: Status: 0x0307 Change: 0x0000 IR Receiver
STATUS(change): CONNECT ENABLE SUSPEND POWER LowSpeed
Port 2: Status: 0x0303 Change: 0x0000 USB OPTICAL MOUSE
STATUS(change): CONNECT ENABLE POWER LowSpeed

Is this mouse connected to an external hub or is the hub listed the root hub in the Mac Pro?

Not sure. Below is the full log

Hub (EHCI Root Hub Simulation) @ 0xfa000000 with 6 ports
Port 1: Status: 0x0503 Change: 0x0000 HubDevice
STATUS(change): CONNECT ENABLE POWER HighSpeed
Port 2: Status: 0x0507 Change: 0x0000 FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)
STATUS(change): CONNECT ENABLE SUSPEND POWER HighSpeed
Port 3: Status: 0x0500 Change: 0x0000
STATUS(change): POWER HighSpeed
Port 4: Status: 0x0500 Change: 0x0000
Port 5: Status: 0x0500 Change: 0x0000
Port 6: Status: 0x0500 Change: 0x0000
Hub (HubDevice) @ 0xfa100000 with 3 ports
Port 1: Status: 0x0107 Change: 0x0000 BRCM2070 Hub
STATUS(change): CONNECT ENABLE SUSPEND POWER FullSpeed
Port 2: Status: 0x0103 Change: 0x0000 Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad
STATUS(change): CONNECT ENABLE POWER FullSpeed
Port 3: Status: 0x0503 Change: 0x0000 iPhone
Hub (BRCM2070 Hub) @ 0xfa110000 with 3 ports
Port 1: Not Responding
Port 2: (*dev)->DeviceRequest err: 0xe000404f
Port 3: Not Responding
Hub (EHCI Root Hub Simulation) @ 0xfd000000 with 8 ports
Port 1: Status: 0x0503 Change: 0x0000 HubDevice
Port 2: Status: 0x0500 Change: 0x0000
Port 3: Status: 0x0500 Change: 0x0000
Port 4: Status: 0x0500 Change: 0x0000
Port 5: Status: 0x0500 Change: 0x0000
Port 6: Status: 0x0500 Change: 0x0000
Port 7: Status: 0x0500 Change: 0x0000
Port 8: Status: 0x0500 Change: 0x0000
Hub (HubDevice) @ 0xfd100000 with 2 ports
Port 1: Status: 0x0307 Change: 0x0000 IR Receiver
STATUS(change): CONNECT ENABLE SUSPEND POWER LowSpeed
Port 2: Status: 0x0303 Change: 0x0000 USB OPTICAL MOUSE
STATUS(change): CONNECT ENABLE POWER LowSpeed

If you have your mouse plugged into an external hub plug it into the USB port on the front of your mac and see if it works there.

I have had issues with pointing devices being connected through external hubs before.

There could be a conflict if you look at "Port 2: (*dev)->DeviceRequest err: 0xe000404f " which seems to be a under the BRC2070 chip, controlling Bluetooth. I would expect that to only affect the Bluetooth system.

Have you already tried disconnecting USB devices one by one to see if there is a conflict? Your device might be getting less power than required through the USB port it is connected to. This can be corrected by plugging it into one of the ports in the back of your system.

I don't have an external port.
I've tried it on the 2 USB port I have on the side of my MBP and still the same results.
I can't figure it out. Thanks for the help

It would be a stretch but you might have weakened solder joints on your USB connectors. That is the only other idea I could give you if you know the mouse works, your have the correct driver installed, reset your PRAM and NVRAM, repaired permissions and still nothing happens.

- the mouse works (tested on a pc)
- i did not install a driver since I could not find a reference, manufacturer or anything that could tell me which driver to install. It's a mouse we've had for a while and I don't have any box or info on it. The only thing written on the mouse is "ADJ".
When I plug it with USB Overdrive I get a vendor id 5593, product id 2636 and bunch of other numbers. When I connect it to a PC I see which driver is running it but it's of course a windows one

Please try installing this driver and let me know if it works.

http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?id=31

It's a general prolific driver. There are a handful of off the shelf micro-controllers that control USB devices and chances are we will find one that works through the process of elimination.

Next try this one: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm

Possible datasheet for the micro-controller (uC) in your mouse, please ignore the Chinese writing as the document is in english and will load shortly after.

http://www.docin.com/p-58386128.html

I have not tried writing my own device driver for mac / linux yet but someone else might have or might be able to direct you to one which will work if the above two option do not work.

If could get some more information about the device by going into Terminal

type:

cd /dev
ls

and view what devices are connected using tty. For instance I have additional devices listed as follows:

tty.ARDUINOBT-BluetoothSeri
tty.Bluetooth-Modem
tty.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync

This shows me additional information and leads me towards a drivers option. But try the first two generic USB uC drivers and see if they work. If not try searching for a linux driver that contains source code and I could walk you through compiling for your Mac.

I tried installing the first driver but the page doesn't load.
I figured you might need to be registered with prolific so I tried but they're not accepting new members.

I have a few hits for the tty. but let's move one thing at a time

Here you go, no membership is required.

Repairing disk permissions solved my mouse problem, plus a couple others...

I was using GE optical mouse with my MacBook pro. I figured out it started getting detected, when I removed the power supply to my latptop and let it just run on batter power. At this time my mac battery was fully charged.

Hope this helps !

I had a similar issue. Clearing NVRAM and PRAM seemed to fix it for me. Also check the mouse works (with another computer), and that it works on the same table surface.

connect your mouse and turn off your laptop and it will work

I had this issue, why i landed on this page, i had tried a few of the suggestions, such as turning off my mac etc....what ended up working was plugging it into my windows laptop and plugging it back in, it works fine now

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.