Is there a way to save a word such as your email address and store it under a function key so that you can simply hit function and a designated key so the word appears? That way you don't have to type it every time. Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

One thing I've done in the past is to open a text file (depending on what you have installed on your Mac for word processing) and type the information that I use over and over in the file.

Then, I copy and paste the information as needed from the text file into the form or whatever it is that I'm working on.

I hope this helps!

/David C.

which internet browsers are you using. Some browsers you can change the settings and click the options save username. This will allow you to save your username and email. The next time you have to type the first letter of your email, your whole email will appear.

Hope this helps

Anything just post, i am willing to help

Yes, there is an option to "load" text to a certain keystrokes. It is in System Preferences->keyboard->Keyboard shortcuts. You can basically put in anything you want. Whether it only applies in a certain app or anywhere. It will tell you if you have a key sequence conflict and if you really get buggered up, just hit the restore defaults. Have fun!

That is a good one macmad. But what joesteven mean is that he want to save his username or email in a web browser. When he need to log in he only needs to type in his password as his username will automatically appear.

I would recommend joesteven to download google chrome or firefox. These two i mention are free browsers that can be downloaded from the internet. They will automatically prompt you whether you want to save your username and passwords

I appreciate everyone's help, but maybe I haven't been clear on what I am trying to do. And maybe this is something others would like to do.

I would like to save my email address (or it could be any other text) to a key stroke (such as option/command/k). Then if I am writing an email or writing a letter, or filling out a form, I can simply click (option/command/k) and my email address will appear on whatever document I'm in.

Thanks for your input!

You can do what you want with keystrokes. Just apply it to the app you want. Just highlight the Application shortcut and click on the + sign below the sub-window. You can either select all applications or separately as mail and/or safari, you can add as many apps as you want.

joesteven: read again what macmad wrote! That is the BEST/easiest solution,
built-in with Mac OSX, for you SPECIFIC need, as described [twice].
:)
There ARE [always] other ways, but you don't NEED them right now.

All the best!

I'm sorry I'm being so difficult but this just isn't working.
Tell me where I'm going wrong. Here's what I'm doing:

I went to the Apple Icon on the top left edge of my tool bar > System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard Shortcuts > Highlight one of the shortcut titles > hit the + button > In the Menu Title: box I enter: jsteven@kiscodental.com > in the Keyboard Shortcut: box I enter: fn button with the F1 button > in the lower portion of the Keyboard Shortcuts window it shows Application Keyboard Shortcuts > All Applications > jsteven@kiscodental.com F1

Something is wrong because the box that I entered: jsteven@kiscodental.com said Menu Title and beneath it it say: Enter the exact name of the menu command you want to add.

I need to find a box that says to Enter the text and the key selection.

Remember that I want to store any word or number as regular text so that in writing a letter or email I could just hit for example the buttons fn & F1 and then that word will appear.

Thanks!

You can do what you want with keystrokes. Just apply it to the app you want. Just highlight the Application shortcut and click on the + sign below the sub-window. You can either select all applications or separately as mail and/or safari, you can add as many apps as you want.

I'm afraid you are mistaken. That keyboard shortcuts is to associate keystroke to any menu item in any application, not to automatically input texts.

As far as I know, there's no trivial method to accomplish this task.

Someone crated an App called 'Keyboard Maestro', it can do this job and more, but it's not for free. You can find it from AppStore.

Firefox have some add-ons that will 'auto-fill' forms. You can find them by googling 'firefox autofill plugin'. They are free of charge, of course.

i agree with wulaishiwo. Google chrome and safari also have the autofill preferences. Most web browsers have the setting that allow you to automatically saved your email or username.

joesteven, have you considered Automator? I expect you could configure a set of or a single keystroke to accomplish your task. If you have other more complex projects in mind check out ControllerMate

Incredible link. joesteven, i think you should follow SLmanDR advice and click on the link he posted

If your problem is solved can you please mark the thread as solved. You can do that by going to the bottom. Thanks, i appreciate it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.