Apple has planned to launch the OS X Lion in July. The preview, which was released in October 2010 says about all the positive features of this awesome OS.

I am planning to switch to Lion from Snow Leopard. But before investing , I want to get the feed back if anyone knows the technical aspects of Mac OS X 10.7.

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

Hi there, i am also planning to switch to lion next month. First it had to depends on what macbook you are using. Macbook, Macbook Pro or iMac. If you had seen apple website, the mac osx lion will be pretty much like an ipad. It has a launch pad and a few new features. You can also check out the new features here. Basically the rest of the features are just fixing bugs problem and a few updates.

Dear jiingda,

Thanks for your response. Actually, I want to know if Lion OS X defrag the entire Mac hard drive or not. In Snow leopard the defrag capacity was limited upto 20 MB only.

About this i am not sure, maybe apple has decide to lower the defrag capacity or maybe it remain the same i can't be sure what i heard. I have to get mac osx lion first than i will know.

Thanks jingda,

Well, for me it doesn't make any difference because I already have a third party Mac defragmentation tool from Stellar.

But it will definitely add feather to Mac hat if Mac Lion comes with the capability to handle fragmentation internally.

From what i heard, Mac does not intend to add a feature that defrag their hard drive. I am not sure why, but apple does not want to do so, so we have to rely on third party apps. I have heard of stella products but hardly use them. Basically for me, i don't think mac needed to be defrag unless your takes up a lot of space and run very slowly. Glad i could be of assistance of you stevenros.

From what i heard, Mac does not intend to add a feature that defrag their hard drive. I am not sure why, but apple does not want to do so, so we have to rely on third party apps. I have heard of stella products but hardly use them. Basically for me, i don't think mac needed to be defrag unless your takes up a lot of space and run very slowly. Glad i could be of assistance of you stevenros.

Jingda is absolutely correct.

Apple doesn't ask its users to go for defragmentation because it can handle it. But, again its capacity is very limited. If size of your data is very large then you must go for a defragmentation tool. And you can visit here for more details.

There are so many tools like Stellar defrag drive which optimize your hard drive without data loss and they are even easy to use also.

Thanks

Stellar Info products for mac are not very good, in my opinion mac does not needed to be defrag. I agree with stevenros above.

May I know which Stellar Mac product you have used. I have used their Mac defrag tool. I have bought the application for Mac OS X 10.6 and its working with Mac Lion also.

Hi Stevenros. Nice to hear from you again. I am currently using Stellar Drive Toolbox Software.

I am also curious to what real improvements were done in Lion other than make it look a bit "Spiffed Up"
I've had little to no issues w/ snow leopard from the day it launched, but that's just me. I actually wonder if they tweaked the Time Machine back up process to work a bit more smoothly between having multiple back up drives. Also if they've inputted an anti-virus defense that is better than the junk currently out there. Also the disk defrag does need to be tweaked since a majority of OS X users are dealing with alot larger files than just 20megs, I know a majority of my photos are well over that size post processing and tweaking the RAW files.

Lion actually is not that cool after you use it for a few days later and own an ipad2 at the same time. Snow leopard is still the best operating system for me. The only good thing about the lion is that it has airdrop. Makes mac users easier to send files, the lauchpad and mission control are just crap software.

yeah so far that was the main feature that got me interested, but not all of my friends are on OS X

You share the same point as me DarthBaggins. That is why i don't see a point to upgrade to Lion when Snow Leopard is already good enough. Its not about the money thing but who wants a new OS that has totaly nothing to impress you and take out about 4 GB of your disk space. I am a fan of Apple products but this time they have dissapoint me with the Lion OSX.

Its not totally disappointing. It has some advantages with more than 250 new features. If we talk specifically about bootcamp, it supports existing Boot Camp installations with Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows Vista, or Windows 7. New Boot Camp installations require Windows 7 (sold separately).

Apple has planned to launch the OS X Lion in July. The preview, which was released in October 2010 says about all the positive features of this awesome OS.

I am planning to switch to Lion from Snow Leopard. But before investing , I want to get the feed back if anyone knows the technical aspects of Mac OS X 10.7.

I used it from snow leopard on trial basis. You can use its trial version and guess this operating systems.

I used it from snow leopard on trial basis. You can use its trial version and guess this operating systems.

What? How do you use lion OS X trial version, is there even one? I have never heard of it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.