I recently installed a new hard drive into my G5. I copied all the files from my old drive onto the new one. The system file is on the old drive which is almost full. Can I move the system file from the old drive to the new one by dragging and dropping?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

No.

You should use Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! to clone your data from 1 drive to another drive.

There are many invisible (to the Finder) folder that are on your old hard drive.

No.

You should use Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! to clone your data from 1 drive to another drive.

There are many invisible (to the Finder) folder that are on your old hard drive.

Thankyou for the information. I have looked up both these sites re: cloning. What I would like is to make my new hard drive the principle drive as it has a large 250 gig capacity. I am not sure what I want to do with the 80 gig original drive as it is getting very full. It appears that using the cloning process in system 10.3.9 that the original drive would still be the principle drive. Is this correct?

If the 250GB drive is installed and functional, then one would use (for example) SuperDuper to clone from point A (the 80GB drive) to point B (the 250GB drive). The clone is an exact duplicate. One would then go to the Startup Disk preference pane in System Preferences and choose the NEW(ly cloned) drive as the boot volume. Restart, and the 250GB is now your "primary" boot volume. Try it out for a little while and make sure everything is working correctly. Then once you're satisfied, you can erase the 80GB drive and do what you want with it. If you have problems, then you can always fall back on it by reselecting it as your boot volume thru the Startup Disk prefpane.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.