Hello! I've been trying to do some quick research, and I'm getting some mixed results. I'm always short on time whenever I'm able to finally get online somewhere.

I have a MacBook that has a Cat-5 connection, as well as USB connections. The only internet available to me where I live (in my budget range) is dial-up. I'm trying to find the best, and most economical way to get my computer online from a phone jack.

Should I buy a modem, or is there a converter/adapter I can get?

Thank you for any help you can provide!!!

Contributors
Replies
Views
4 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by M6BYN

If you want to connect your computer to the Internet via Dial-up, you'll most definately need a modem. You should still be able to find them on the market. These days, the most common modem you'll find will be USB based, at least for the typical Windows/Intel system.

I am sure this is true for Macs.

Are the usb/dial-up adapters the ones I see on Amazon that are pretty much plug and play, or do I need a modem like the cable modem that comes from the cable company?

So keep in mind that if you are referring to "dial-up", you need a traditional modem that is going to plug into your phone line, not directly to your cable provider's connection. If you have a cable provider, why are you considering dial-up?

I was just using the cable modem as an example- does dial up have that as an option like a cable modem.

Anyway, I found what I needed on Amazon.com.

Thanks for your help, though!

get a three(3)usb dongle its £10 for 1gig or £15 for 3gig and if you get the new sort and your near a mast you get about 14.2mbits down load(21 they say you can get but you carnt)heres my results of speed over last month Click Here

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.