I'm having some weird issues with my Powerbook G4 ( "PowerBook5,7", "PowerPC G4 (1.2)") connecting to my Airport Express at home. A few weeks ago I installed my brand new Airport Express at home and made a WPA Personal security password as recommended. Everything worked fine for a few days until one day my computer suddenly seemed to not find the signals anymore.
I tried all types of problemsolving from the book, but nothing seemed to help.
What confuses me is that my roommate (who also has a PowerBook G4, "PowerBook5,7" "PowerPC G4 (1.2)") has no problems connecting.. she gets the signals fine!!??
THEN, I reset my A.Express for open access again and got back on.. for a few days.
Then I suddenly lost all traces of the signals again!!?? My roomate is still happy going and my computer picks up all other signals from the neighborhood.
How can this be? I did nothing but turn my computer on and off and suddenly all signals are non traceable any longer..
I hope someone can help me, I am as you probably can see from my request not a computer literate exactly..
And Ps..
My G4 was bought in the U.S and my roomate's in Norway. On her computer the first security setting came up as a "WPA Personal" but my computer called the same one a "WPA2 Personal".. any hidden clues in this?
I have tried erasing all network history to let the computer search for new connections also, but all it picks up on again is my neighbors...

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

WPA2 is a newer version of WPA, and it does have some compatibilityissues.
What are the exact versions of the OS on each computer, and what is the exact version (including revision #) of the Airport/Airport firmware?

Hello!
Thank you for replying!

My roomate's OS is 10.4.5 and mine is 10.4.6

AirPort Card information:

My Roomate's says:

Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme
Wireless Card Locale: International
Wireless Card Firmware Version: 402.6 (3.90.34.0.p13)
Current Wireless Network: Apple Network 709861
Wireless Channel: 13

Mine says:

Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme
Wireless Card Locale: USA
Wireless Card Firmware Version: 404.2 (3.90.34.0.p16)
Current Wireless Network: wireless network not available

Hope this is what you are asking for! If not please guide me to where I'll find what you're after!

K

Can you access unencrypted networks? Try that (if you have an unencrypted one around ;)). Your Airport drivers may also be messed up. I have a friend who messed up his Airport drivers. Unfortunately, the only way I know to recover airport drivers is to do a reinstall of Tiger.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.