How do you save your Mac Outlook Express 5.05 email and import it into the OSX version? Same question for the Favorites in Mac IE 5.1.7.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Hello,

I assume you are upgrading from Mac OS 9 to OS X. Before you do that, i would suggest a paper printout just in case something goes foul.

I have not done the Mac Outlook Express conversion. I am a dutiful Eudora fan, and that upgraded flawlessly.

For IE Favorites, you will need to go into the Mac OS System folder, find the Preferences folder, and then go and get the favorites.html file. Copy that guy over to the OS X (user) folder, and tunnel down into Library --> Preferences --> Explorer, and copy the favorites.html file there.

You may wish to test this on another system if you have a friend who has a similar setup.

Good Luck,

Christian

Hi - I am resuming this old thread because I can't find an answer anywhere - how do you export your outlook express folders and contacts onto OSX - from an OS9 Imac G3 to an OSX IMac Intel core2 Duo? I am about to buy the latter but am wary of losing lots of stuff!

These 2 links should provide all the information you'll need:
http://capmac.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=770
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106352

Have fun.

Thanks very much, 'Joe'. That's very useful. My distributor told me I'd have to buy Vista and Parallels in order to view outlook express on Mac OSX on a new Intel Mac, in order to copy OE contacts and folders across from my old PowerPC Mac to the new Mac, so given what you've referred me to, I presume that's not the case! If you think it is, do let me know.

NB: I had looked in the Apple files and found other articles relating to this, though they weren't as direct as the one you found.
Much obliged!
Jane

:) :)

My distributor told me I'd have to buy Vista and Parallels in order to view outlook express on Mac OSX on a new Intel Mac, in order to copy OE contacts and folders across from my old PowerPC Mac to the new Mac

Your distributor probably thought that you were referring to the Outlook Express on Windows. It wouldn't be possible to run Outlook Express for Mac OS 9 on Windows Vista anyway...

so given what you've referred me to, I presume that's not the case!

That's the only way I know of doing it (even though I've never actually had to do that). Installing Windows certainly isn't going to work.

Thanks - you've just saved me £160 plus VAT!! I can't understand how MacWarehouse salespeople can come up with this, given I've told them it was a Mac application.
Their 'techies' have always been good for probs with my IMac G3...
Best wishes, Jane

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.